New Oil Leak at Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My apologies to 454cid I stand corrected, but they do sell individual length hoses. If you can acquire a hydraulic hose kit to make your own, I was under the assumption that we were talking about coolant hoses. My bad! (senior moment!).
I also forgot to mention Dorman Products, "but who puts Dorman products on their vehicles?" I sure don't if I can help it! But sometimes you have no choice, or do you?

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a K2500 with 7.4L 454 and 4L80e transmission.

I'll look up on one of the sites suggested, and see what I can find.

This truck is for towing our horse around, so I suspect keeping the cooler functional is a good idea.

So, is there an aftermarket radiator that isn't prone to coolant leakage at the oil cooler fitting? Might as well consider radiator replacement a regular maintenance item if their so predictably prone to failure?!

c

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This truck is for towing our horse around, so I suspect keeping the cooler functional is a good idea.
Yeah; if it's gonna tow, might as well keep the cooler functional. Horsey trailer isn't a lot, and bear in mind older generations of trucks did just fine without an oil cooler..

So yeah; you can ignore those small block filter adapters I posted. Not the same setup on a big block.

Richard

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I suspected as much. In this age of modern convenience and advanced technology, people sometimes forget that back when things were simple, even if they weren't 100% reliable, when they worked, they often worked just as well, if not better than they do now, given similar conditions. Probably has to do with the increasing use of plastic and aluminum (to cut costs and weight for better profit margins and MPGs) for parts that used to be made of cast iron or steel, making them less durable.

Anyway, I found the hoses on RockAuto (I've seen all sorts of TV ads for the site, and I must say that it does appear to live up to that hype quite admirably!)

Should I replace both hoses while I'm at it? I ask since they're both the same price (~$28) and I only want to do this once.

Also, are there shops that, for a nominal fee, could install the part for me if I give it to them? Like Jiffy Lube or some such? I'm willing to try it myself, but I thought I'd ask in the interest of saving time, since the California Fire Machine is gearing up for another hot, treacherous season, and I need to be able to get going ASAP if anything happens.....

EDIT: If I can tackle this, my next target (barring any more underhood issues) is the seats. The upholstery is in very fine condition for its age, but they're not the most comfortable to sit in.

c

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Been readin' your thread and see you have the same problem I did.I solved the prob as AuroraGirl said in post 14.I give the clamps a twist occassionally to make sure they stay tight all seems OK and has been for years.BTW,you mention Cali heat,do you by chance live anywhere near the Santa Clarita Valley?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dorman hoses apparently use aluminum tubing.

AC-Delco hoses and the originals use steel tubing.

"I" would insist on steel tubing. But that's me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My apologies to 454cid I stand corrected, but they do sell individual length hoses. If you can acquire a hydraulic hose kit to make your own, I was under the assumption that we were talking about coolant hoses. My bad! (senior moment!).
I also forgot to mention Dorman Products, "but who puts Dorman products on their vehicles?" I sure don't if I can help it! But sometimes you have no choice, or do you?

No need to apologize. I have heard of guys replacing the rubber.... basically having a hydraulic shop put new hose of the original ends. I wonder if something like an Oetiker clamp (or double) would be sufficient to do it at home.

The Dorman replacements are junk.... only last a year or so before starting to leak. That's what happened to mine, and what I've heard from others.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having a hydraulic shop put new hose of the original ends. I wonder if something like an Oetiker clamp (or double) would be sufficient to do it at home.
Oetiker clamps work great on silicone and neoprene hoses that have fabric reinforcement. I wouldn't expect good results on hose for higher pressures that have steel-wire reinforcement.

But any hydraulic-hose shop can crimp-seal those hoses.

And, of course, there's the various re-useable hose ends for "universal" use--pipe-thread ends, 37 degree taper ends, flange ends, etc.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you mention Cali heat,do you by chance live anywhere near the Santa Clarita Valley?
No, for now, I'm farther north in the SF Bay Area. It's less hot than Santa Clarita, but it's definitely quite a bit dryer than it used to be, hence the fire worries....

Been readin' your thread and see you have the same problem I did.I solved the prob as AuroraGirl said in post 14.I give the clamps a twist occassionally to make sure they stay tight all seems OK and has been for years.
Interesting. Maybe it's something like with heat and fatigue, the crimp loosens, and twisting it retightens it somehow?

c

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
No, for now, I'm farther north in the SF Bay Area. It's less hot than Santa Clarita, but it's definitely quite a bit dryer than it used to be, hence the fire worries....

Interesting. Maybe it's something like with heat and fatigue, the crimp loosens, and twisting it retightens it somehow?

c
Some clamps seem to loosen a little over time so I check all of them,it's the nature of that type of clamp.