'94 coolant leak at oil cooler line.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a single core less efficient than a dual core if the dual core is comprised of two smaller cores? From my understanding, the advent of dual core only reduced the size of each individual core. Fluid dynamics tells me there is a marginal, if any, improvement in heat dissipation between one larger core versus two smaller cores. It the dual core was made with two cores of the same size as the single core then, yes, by all means it would be more efficient.
I couldn’t give you specifics other than the HD Cooling KNP option I believe was duel core with transmission cooler. So, I guess GM considered it a better option.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn’t give you specifics other than the HD Cooling KNP option I believe was duel core with transmission cooler. So, I guess GM considered it a better option.
Yeah, I noticed that RPO option when comparing and couldn't come up with any actual measurements. I tried to compare the Spectra but they don't have any core thickness measurements listed on Rock Auto either.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
2-3/16 duel core
1-1/4 single core
So about 1 and a 1/10th thickness of each core for the dual core. That would be interesting to see some side by side comparisons of similar trucks with one of each just to see what they run. Granted, a dual core is probably overkill for my usage but cooler is generally better for gas engines. My Duramax gets terrible fuel mileage when it can't get up to optimal temps.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you still running the factory clutch fan as well? There's a guy selling some dual electric fans for a 400 locally but I'm not sure there's much benefit to those for DD'ing.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you still running the factory clutch fan as well? There's a guy selling some dual electric fans for a 400 locally but I'm not sure there's much benefit to those for DD'ing.
I don’t want to mess with those, but thanks. Do you have a transmission cooler? Even if you don’t tow, your transmission will thank you.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t want to mess with those, but thanks. Do you have a transmission cooler? Even if you don’t tow, your transmission will thank you.
Just the factory transmission cooler. I haven't begun to look into aftermarket options as I'm just trying to get the truck driveable and then likely LS/T56 swapping so everything would need to be upgraded with that.