'94 coolant leak at oil cooler line.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I had a leak in the same vicinity on my 1990 5.7 and I never could find a crack and I verified all lines were tight. I called my local radiator repair shop and before I could even finish telling him year/make/model he said "Let me guess, it's leaking on the driver's side plastic tank, right?" so apparently the heat from the oil just degrades the plastic tank over time. He said it's pretty common to not see a crack because they're so small they won't leak much or any until the plastic has heated up and then you'll be able to see it.

New tank on one end with a clean and flush was right around $100 I believe.
I ended up just replacing the radiator on my Burb. The tank was leaking on the driver's side. Replacing the tank would have been around half of the radiator replacement, and no warranty on anything.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For that money I’d just buy(I have)a new radiator to replace the 33 year old part.
That is certainly the better way to go. In my particular case, the truck was freshly pulled from sitting in a yard and I was just trying to get it going well enough to make sure it runs and drives. At that point I had no idea of condition of the drivetrain so didn't see any point in spending $350+ for a new radiator if I could get it going for less than a third of that.

GMC_YA_L8R

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up just replacing the radiator on my Burb. The tank was leaking on the driver's side. Replacing the tank would have been around half of the radiator replacement, and no warranty on anything.
Oh, yeah the warranty issue is definitely one to consider if you're even remotely relying on the truck for transportation. In my case, my truck isn't even registered or tagged so I can cut costs on some things in order to focus on fixing the more pressing stuff first. Like the front suspension that sounds like two mini Iron Mans having a boxing match under the hood every time I hit a bump

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Spectra duel core 3 years ago from Advance Auto for $165.00. 2 year warranty. Been my daily for 3 years.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a Spectra duel core 3 years ago from Advance Auto for $165.00. 2 year warranty. Been my daily for 3 years.
I wonder what the price is today. That same # shows $186 on Rock right now.

BTW Advance's site currently down, that was unexpected..

Access Denied​

You don't have permission to access "http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.996ccd17.1686748344.32c79c

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the price is today. That same # shows $186 on Rock right now.

BTW Advance's site currently down, that was unexpected..

Access Denied​

You don't have permission to access "http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/" on this server.
Reference #18.996ccd17.1686748344.32c79c

Richard
Yeah, it’s down for me too. Could just be maintenance. 3 years ago it was about the same as RockAuto price and then with their typical 15% off is what I paid. You certainly don’t need to spend $350.00 on a radiator. So for $85.00 more minus 5% :D plus shipping, you have a brand new part.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It cost me $270 for the radiator replacement in the Burb, 5 years ago. I had the truck back in under 3 hours too...