New Oil Leak at Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, I haven't messed with this in a few weeks now, and I'm getting ready to buy a replacement hose.

Is it engine specific? I've found a few that look similar, but I don't want to spend the money unless I know it's the right part.

Also, is it necessary to first drain the engine oil before I replace the hose?

EDIT: I'm also curious if it would do any harm if I simply bypassed the cooler altogether, or if maybe an aftermarket cooler, if they exist (can a transmission cooler be adapted for use with engine oil?) would be better.

c

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been a while since I looked them up but they will be generally engine- and model-specific.

If you're just using the truck as regular transportation/light duty work, yes, you can eliminate the oil cooler entirely and be just fine. You'll need a regular oil filter adapter and the shorter bolts to replace the oil cooler adapter on your engine. You can score these parts used, cheap, from a junk engine that came without the cooler. Or, buy one new, also still pretty cheap. Don't forget the shorter bolts, though.

Some come with bolts - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ses-3-60-08-900/make/chevrolet
Some without - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-120115/make/chevrolet
Some are unexpectedly pricey - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19299222/make/chevrolet

Gasket may or may not be included depending on choice. Gaskets are available separately though they might be in a package assortment.

Richard

Last edited:

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First pic, appears the hose is leaking at the crimp; replace the hose assembly.

Also looks like you might have a slight coolant leak where the oil cooler fitting comes through the radiator (note the crusty stain coming down underneath the large stamped nut.) Not much you can do here as once that seal fails it's usually done; just keep an eye on it and replace the radiator before it gets bad.

Richard
X2-I had similar to yours=new radiator. But you can live with this for a while. I did for nearly 3 years-but then it started progressing so I gave up.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May I recommend and suggest to you the various brands available at RockAuto.com, Geeksauto.com, Carid.com, and many others that carry and sell online the multiple manufacturers' lines of the different types of cooling systems, such as hoses for all the years, makes, and models, and engine types, such as Gates, Dayco, Continental to name just a few.
Of course, it would be nice to know what exactly you drive. Year, Make, Model, Engine Size, 2wd, 4x4 Automatic/Manual Trans, with or without A/C.
Please accept my apologies and excuse my ignorance unless I missed it somewhere.