New Oil Leak at Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was checking under the hood today to make sure everything was in order, and I discovered a leak in what I believe is the upper engine oil cooler hose:
You must be registered for see images attach

The metal fitting that joins the rubber hose to the radiator also seems to be loose at the radiator end (I can swing it back and forth):
You must be registered for see images attach

(I cleaned the oil off so I could see what's going on better).

Is the loose fitting normal?

What can I do to fix this leak? Replace the hose? The fitting??

c

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First pic, appears the hose is leaking at the crimp; replace the hose assembly.

Also looks like you might have a slight coolant leak where the oil cooler fitting comes through the radiator (note the crusty stain coming down underneath the large stamped nut.) Not much you can do here as once that seal fails it's usually done; just keep an eye on it and replace the radiator before it gets bad.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you can rock the hose it isn't tight enough. The Dorman hoses don't come with o rings, but the GM ones do. But yours is leaking at the crimp and, as sog mentioned, your radiator looks to be weeping as well.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Those lines are notorious for failing at the crimp. A lot of the replacements use aluminum tubing instead of the OEM steel, and they don't last long. I have not tried an OEM replacement, or aftermarket steel. I just disconnected the oil cooler.

The seal is an o-ring at the radiator, so unless it's really loose, it's probably okay (for the moment) although I tried for no movement when installing them.

Definetly keep an eye on the radiator tank, as Richard pointed out. I've had two radiators fail on that side. I think the upper radiator hose bounces around and eventually stress fractures the tank. I zipp tied my upper hose to the steel hose support to try and prevent that.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also looks like you might have a slight coolant leak where the oil cooler fitting comes through the radiator (note the crusty stain coming down underneath the large stamped nut.) Not much you can do here as once that seal fails it's usually done; just keep an eye on it and replace the radiator before it gets bad.
Really? This is supposed to be a new radiator! It's only like three years old!

First pic, appears the hose is leaking at the crimp; replace the hose assembly.
I suspected as much. Any recommendation as to what brand of hose I should look for?

The seal is an o-ring at the radiator, so unless it's really loose, it's probably okay (for the moment) although I tried for no movement when installing them.
I see. Could a loose seal here cause the stains that @someotherguy noticed?

c

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's possible it's just a stain left from something else dripping down, possibly when the radiator hose was hooked up, or a leak at that hose. A simple pressure test would show you if it's actually leaking.

Richard

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the Dorman and the AC Delco oil cooler lines to be of equally poor quality. I tried both and they both leaked at the crimp after about 1.5 years.