New Engine for 90 Silverado C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigCope923

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have a 1990 C1500 5.7L (350) that has a seeping head gasket. I've been advised by 3 mechanics that if I plan on keeping the truck it would be best to replace the engine. The problem now is selecting which engine to go with.

Therefore I would like to get some advice from some experienced people.

1. Rebuilt or Crate Motor
2. If crate motor, where to buy from and what is the usual cost?
3. If rebuilt motor, what brand or stores should I look at?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just replace the headgaskets. A couple hundred bucks and about 6 hrs and it's back on the road. Unless your motor is just a unmantained peice of shiat.

Pontiacs-r-us

Reaction score
Find different mechanics...Like keeping it said,fix it.Id be surprised if intake isn't leaking also.Maybe that's been fixed before?Because they are bad for it !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigCope923

Reaction score
The motor was pretty well maintained. I actually didn't even get a quote on replacing the head gaskets. Has anyone on here ever got this type of work done? If so, what were the results?

steve3327

Reaction score
Results for me have been great on my 92. Also a 350 had a guy replace the head gaskets came to a 2000 dollar repair bill. But also the head was machined and every gasket from the head up was replaced along with plugs and rad and hoses. He put in a kit with a bunch of new gaskets/seals and bolts. Runs like a top again

BigCope923

Reaction score
Results for me have been great on my 92. Also a 350 had a guy replace the head gaskets came to a 2000 dollar repair bill. But also the head was machined and every gasket from the head up was replaced along with plugs and rad and hoses. He put in a kit with a bunch of new gaskets/seals and bolts. Runs like a top again

Thanks Steve. If he quotes me $2000 then I'll just go ahead and get another motor.

BigCope923

Reaction score
Sorry fellas, I'm far from a mechanic. All I'm doing is changing spark plugs and fluids.