Need help with paint code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hdrolling

Reaction score
Long shot but would anyone know the paint code for this metallic gray? Kind of has blues green flakes in it, but most of the time it looks black or really dark gray.

The bed came on my 72 C10 and it's a 90 style step side, I need to touch up some spots and can't seem to be able to find what color it is.

It's not a 72 color so I'm hoping it might be an 80-s or 90 GM color. Truck isn't running right now while I work on the brakes.
I was hoping to do some touch up while I wait for parts.
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A good paint supplier that does matching for automotive, aircraft has all the custom colors and supplies. Some of those guys are like a machine. " yeah thats a 91 to 93 silverado arctic white, see a little blue tint there?" Uh, ok sounds good. Thats what I've had to for myself and work. Good luck.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best call would be to track whomever had it painted down to find out how and with what it was painted with. Computer matching works but I've had situations where it didn't pick up certain pearls and they were lacking in the mixed color. Maybe you get lucky. Not all mixing systems have the exact same toners and while you can mix oem colors decently for the most part it's when you get into custom those differences show. Custom mixed Mid-coats over the base etc.

Air pressure through the gun, weather conditions, the way something is fixtured for paint, and application techniques can affect color match even when painting out of the same cans of color that were used to paint the vehicle.

With the size of the flake involved here, the clear visibility of the color differences of the pearl flakes(I see blue , green, silver mica, etc) I'm inclined to think this is a mid-coat pearlescent suspended in a clear mixing base over a black base.

Many times I have advised people not to go custom color on a street ride because inevitably there comes a point in time where something needs refinished and the real fun in figuring it out begins.

Last edited:

hdrolling

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, until I get the brake parts in the truck isn't running so I guess I'll just have to wait until then to be able to take it somewhere to get matched.

I was hoping I cold touch up some spots while it's just sitting here. Parts are moving slow right now for these classic trucks.