looking for paint codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my spid. Sure looks like 8807 to me. If you click on the pic and magnify you get a better view of the numbers. Not trying to cause a ruckus, and i know my eyes are getting old, but dang if it don't look like 8807

Good catch - I see you have an '89 as well as OP. It's kind of weird there are possibly some discrepancies in records for color offerings that year - '89 Chevrolet Silverado shows 8867 silver metallic and no listing for 8807; '89 GMC Sierra shows an 8807 silver metallic but only as a "trim color" - as well as 8867 silver metallic.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have a good collection of legible SPID labels for silver trucks - but here's info from a few:

1992 Chevy (9658 dark gray metallic / 8867 silver metallic two-tone)

1997 Chevy (8867 silver metallic)

1992 Chevy (8807 silver metallic) - and this description I do question here as the silver had a plain look to it, not metallic, as the other trucks did. This is also the only one out of these that exhibited severe peeling.

1991 GMC (9658 dark gray metallic / 8867 silver metallic two-tone)

1991 Chevy (8867 silver metallic)

So there's one out of a bundle..

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
(Pics for reference)

1992 Chevy (9658 dark gray metallic / 8867 silver metallic two-tone)
You must be registered for see images attach

1997 Chevy (8867 silver metallic)

1992 Chevy (8807 silver metallic) - and this description I do question here as the silver had a plain look to it, not metallic, as the other trucks did. This is also the only one out of these that exhibited severe peeling.

1991 GMC (9658 dark gray metallic / 8867 silver metallic two-tone) - note it was failing on hood and roof but in traditional paint failure that all these trucks get once they sit outside too much. Not peeling like the one above ^^^ which peeled so badly it later had "pockets" of loose paint on the sides that would collect rainwater

1991 Chevy (8867 silver metallic)

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I know there's a GM silver that doesn't have much flake in it, and what there is, is very fine. No sparkle at all, compared to the later silver that has bigger metalflakes in it. Are the earlier colors single stage?
When did GM go to basecoat/clearcoat paint? I know our '90 Burb was still the single stage paint, white and light metallic blue(like the old Pontiac metallic blue engine paint from the muscle cars). The top had been repainted but the hood and front fenders were peeling.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Light colors would peel b/c uv light can penetrate light paint easier (more than dark colors). It then creates a powdery layer on the sealer GM used at the time (and Ford too), ...which then would cause the paint to flake off. Whites, silvers, light blues, etc were the worst. GM repainted a lot of trucks over that.

A few yrs later came the next issue: peeling clear. :banghead:

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a debate at the time, GM said DuPont's sealer was the problem. DuPont said GM short-cutted the process. IDK if the finger-pointing was ever settled. Anyone here know?

In the town where I lived, the GM dealer set up an outdoor tent in the spring and hired a crew of guys JUST to strip down and repaint OBS trucks. I knew another large dealer which did the same thing. The DA sander's were humming all summer long! We hired one of the guys who was part of that local crew.

bloodshot612

Reaction score
I had this truck back in high school, and i am recreating it. Paint is a long ways down the road right now, but i dont see many with the same color combo i had. Does anyone have this color combo and know the paint codes?

it was red top and bottom, and a bright silver in the middle. see attached.
I just bought a fender with those colours, just posting a picture to help!

Attachments

• IMG_3887.jpeg
    IMG_3887.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 10