Need Help Fast Guys.. Dash is apart and gonna paint...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WPsharpshooter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started the night out with just the intention on swapping out my moons to leds.. Next thing you know I have all the vinyl pieces off the front of the dash. It seems as if the previous owner wiped down the dash with coke as his choice of cleaning product.. I want to clean everything and change up the color... Whats the best way to go about cleaning this stuff.. Just warm water and scrub the piss out of it??? I guess since everything I plan to paint is vinyl I will try and dye it... Gonna go with black just to give it some contrast... I noticed that some guys on here have used some dye from autozone with decent results... Any tips would be great....

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Spray nine or Simple green works great to clean up. I'd recommend SEM color coat dye products for what you are planning to do.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the one and only thing I use is grease and wax remover.

scrubbing or cleaning this crap aint gonna remove the old armor all and silicone crap or grease, so you can clean it first with something but before paint use grease and wax remover on it for sure.

As for sem yea it works, it's also the most expensive kind you can get. I used it with good results and bad. It wasn't because of prep either. The duplicolor held up very nice though as does the sem.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
scrubbing it is gonna get all the crap off thats sticky . with dupli color being 8 bucks a can and a qt of sem is 33 when you start dying a bunch of stuff the sem comes out to be cheaper in the end. i used a can and half of dup on one door panel just end up pissed off with the result and oredering suede to cover it. Yes he needs to use a wax and degreaser but simple grean will also remove grease etc hell he could use windex if he didnt wanna buy prepsol

95ukawn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i actually just finished painting mine and only used alcohol to clean it up but mines probably wasnt as bad as your says it is.. for paint i used krylon fusion (for plastics)
You must be registered for see images attach

just dont spray too close! those runs will make it look like shiiit

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've used SEM, Krylon, & Dupli-color. I'm partial to the SEM, but that's maybe because I've been using it for about 20 years. I've had good results with it, & any jobs that I've done with it have not come back due to any adhesion issues. I like to stick with what works. There's no money in having to do things twice.
Any cleaner that you use will leave traces of itself behind which may cause adhesion issues with the dye. Windex is O.K., but only as an initial cleaner to get the heavier crap off the parts that you want to dye. It contains ammonia as it's primary chemical. That will seep into the plastic when in liquid form, but escape as a gas. It also has a tendency to cause cracking & hardening of plastic & vinyls, when used over a period of time. It dries the vinyl/plastics out.
Grease & wax remover is alcohol based, I believe, but I could be wrong on that. It' fine as a cleaner, as long as it's rinsed off well with cold water.
For a final cleaning, after anything else that has been used to get the major crud off, is T.S.P. Tri-sodium phosphate. Available at any home builder supply. Comes in a powder form, to be mixed with water. It's cheap. It will nuetrulize any cleaners or chemicals left on the parts to be dyed.
Whatever you use, after all is done, cleaning wise, rinse, rinse, rinse, with cold water, & then left to dry for at least 24 hours, in a warm place. Do not touch any surfaces to be dyed with your bare hands afterwards.
I use an adhesion promotor, just before I get to the dying part. Some are different than others. Some require the dye to be applied when the promotor is still wet, some when dry. I prefer the former.
When dying, several very light coats are better than one or two heavy ones. Any drips that occur with a heavy coat, will have to sanded out. Which means that your starting the whole process over again.
Hope this helps.

*edit* When cleaning, I like to use a stiff brush to get right into the grain of the plastic/vinyl. On the smaller parts, a finger nail brush works well. For larger parts, the head of a bristle broom, with short bristles, works. Scrub in circular motions.

Last edited: