Need Axle Advice. Pictures inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^That was my first thought, too.

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe someone replaced the carrier with a real locker instead of the factory g80? Does it seem to be locked all the time?

Its a factory locker. I pulled the cover to change gasket and fluid before installing it. Both gear sets (in my old one and new one) both had 41.12 stamped into them, which does equal out to 3.42. I also counted them as well to be 100% sure. And It has the stock Gov-lock. No it doesn't stay locked all the time. It weird. Only happens every once in a blue moon. It seems like the fly weights are spinning out, and catching the pawl at high speeds. Doesn't happen all the time though.

Didn't open the cover up to verify condition and gear ratio before buying? Just because it's on a vehicle doesn't mean it's original. :(

Richard

I did inspect it before paying for it. Looked to be in excellent condition. Gear ratio is the same. See above statement. Yes, I know that, lol. I've had my experiences with purchase parts that were suppose to be stock, but they were indeed aftermarket.

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe someone added some 'Posi-Lube' at one time. Big no-no for a gov-lock.

I thought the same thing. The guy at the JY said that when they sit for a couple months without being ran, that it is a good idea to add some lube and then go do some figure 8's in an empty parking lot to free up the internals.

I told him that G80's require NO LUBE AT ALL. I did not and will not put lube in it. If anything, I will pull the cover and remove the Gov-lock flyweights and pawl, therefore making it an open diff, until I can get to work, and make enough money to get a decent locker for it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I told him that G80's require NO LUBE AT ALL. I did not and will not put lube in it.

Did he look at you like you were from another planet? Because most people use "lube" as a generic term for any oil in general, like the gear oil that all differentials need. It's additives that the Eaton Gov-Loc doesn't neet, as in, posi additive. Obviously none of us think you're out there running your new differential around with no gear oil in it, just saying, the guy probably thinks you're nuts. ;)

Richard

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did he look at you like you were from another planet? Because most people use "lube" as a generic term for any oil in general, like the gear oil that all differentials need. It's additives that the Eaton Gov-Loc doesn't neet, as in, posi additive. Obviously none of us think you're out there running your new differential around with no gear oil in it, just saying, the guy probably thinks you're nuts. ;)

Richard

Lol, Of course it needs gear oil/lube. He knew exactly what I was talking about, because he was speaking of posi-lube, or GM's friction modifier.

What is your opinion/idea of taking the fly-weights/pawl out for the gov-lock?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry homie...haven't done it; can't advise whether or not it would work or is a good idea.

Richard

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry homie...haven't done it; can't advise whether or not it would work or is a good idea.

Richard

Fair enough.

I really don't want to lose my g80. They are handy, and perfect when they work correctly. Like I stated, this is a low mile rearend, and I hope I can fix the issue. I have been known to abuse my previous g80 soon as I got the truck. I later then, realized, I missed the g80 as it could have helped in some situations.

I'm not a fan of open diffs, however, if it means saving my life, and keep from throwing me in a ditch because it doesn't lock up at high speeds, like my current g80 does, then so be it.