Need Axle Advice. Pictures inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so here is my issue..

I have a 1997 k1500 with 328k miles on it. Truck is listed in signature. This truck has the GU6 G80. So, in terms that is the 3.42 gear ration with GM's famous, and ****ty posi traction unit that fails when we need it the most.

My ring and pinion gear is fine, not hurt at all. Its the spider/worm gears inside my carrier that is shot. I am looking for a decent carrier to replace mine with. It does not have to be posi traction, but if I can find a good one, at a reasonable price, that would be great! If anyone has one for sell, let me know!

You must be registered for see images attach

Link to video (Not sure if link will work or not.)
http://youtu.be/dLkV93omT6w

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I believe a number of the 10 bolts are known for having spider gears that crap out like that. You might just consider replacing them, but only after flushing the holy crap out of the entire carrier, ring & pinion gear, etc. with brake parts cleaner, repeatedly, rotate the assembly and flush some more, over and over to be sure you get all the tiny bits out as they're gonna eat your bearings if they're not already destroyed.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would just put in a 14 bolt

That too :D

Might be a little trickier finding a 3.42 14 bolt to match his front diff, most I've seen are 3.73. But I did have one that was 3.42, I definitely know they're out there, just seem less common.

Richard

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe a number of the 10 bolts are known for having spider gears that crap out like that. You might just consider replacing them, but only after flushing the holy crap out of the entire carrier, ring & pinion gear, etc. with brake parts cleaner, repeatedly, rotate the assembly and flush some more, over and over to be sure you get all the tiny bits out as they're gonna eat your bearings if they're not already destroyed.

Richard

I have thought about going that route, I'm just not 100% sure that I would like to go that route, due to the possibility of bearing/seal failure shortly after. With my number of miles, and the amount of shavings I cleaned off of the magnet, I'm highly scared to do so.

It would be time for me to roll out the welder...

I don't have access to a welder, nor would I know what to weld lol.

I would just put in a 14 bolt

If only money wasn't a factor.. :)

That too :D

Might be a little trickier finding a 3.42 14 bolt to match his front diff, most I've seen are 3.73. But I did have one that was 3.42, I definitely know they're out there, just seem less common.

Richard

Correct good sir, I did find another 10 bolt at the local JY for 100 plus my old rear for a core. That's only because I worked there at one time. Still open to other options, but I'm leaning towards that deal. Yes, I would be pulling the cover off the JY diff to inspect it, and change the fluid.

KevinL1987

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so I have replaced my rear end with a JY one that only had 80k miles on it. I verified, by looking at the dash cluster as they removed it from the truck.

got it installed and everything was perfect, until I went to fill it up with fluid and everything I put in it, leaked out of the pinion seal. Easy fix.

Now, after running for a couple days, I have noticed that it has locked at speeds upwards of 45-50MPH. It will stay locked until I throw it in reverse and hit the gas. When locked, it will make the inside tire chirp as you are turning.

What could be causing it to lock up during high speeds?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe someone replaced the carrier with a real locker instead of the factory g80? Does it seem to be locked all the time?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't open the cover up to verify condition and gear ratio before buying? Just because it's on a vehicle doesn't mean it's original. :(

Richard