Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Long time lurker here. Im having troubles getting my hoe back and running after its been sitting over the summer. It has a new fuel pump, filter and spider. Getting about 10psi to the rail... I have about 1v difference at the pump versus the battery? Is this significant? The ground was pretty corrded at the crossmember by the tank. Do I need to replace the whole wire from the tank to the battery or should I just ground it as close as possible? Thanks for your time and advice, anything helps

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm assuming vortec? 5.7 any wires that are corroded I personally would of replaced/repaired. 10 is really low. What pump you throw in?

Reaction score
I'm assuming vortec? 5.7 any wires that are corroded I personally would of replaced/repaired. 10 is really low. What pump you throw in?
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes its the 5.7 vortec in a 99 2 door. The truck really belongs in the scrap yard but I can't afford another at the moment so i'm stuck with her. I ended up cutting a hole in the floor just above the pump.. I wasnt dropping it again, the pump is a delphi. Hooked up a battery directly to the pump and what do you know 60 psi. I dug into the fuse box under the hood and tried to run a new wire from the relay directly to the pump with no luck. Im not really an electrical guru but i'm sure its computer related. I do know there's suppose to be a backup solenoid that runs off the oil pressure switch but I feel like thats not working either. I'll probably end up wiring my own killswitch and relay in. The wiring in this truck is hacked to high heaven. When I first got the truck the turnsignals were wired wrong had to deF***k it big time. The headlight switch was also melted because the previous owner didn't fuse the fog lights and lightbar the connections were horrible too, military splices held by zip ties. Amongst other things like the fact that it didn't have any brakes, was leaking fuel, and the rear ujoint was hanging on by a thread. I should of never bought it or drove it home in the first place but it angers the wife so much, so I kept it around ha.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes its the 5.7 vortec in a 99 2 door. The truck really belongs in the scrap yard but I can't afford another at the moment so i'm stuck with her. I ended up cutting a hole in the floor just above the pump.. I wasnt dropping it again, the pump is a delphi. Hooked up a battery directly to the pump and what do you know 60 psi. I dug into the fuse box under the hood and tried to run a new wire from the relay directly to the pump with no luck. Im not really an electrical guru but i'm sure its computer related. I do know there's suppose to be a backup solenoid that runs off the oil pressure switch but I feel like thats not working either. I'll probably end up wiring my own killswitch and relay in. The wiring in this truck is hacked to high heaven. When I first got the truck the turnsignals were wired wrong had to deF***k it big time. The headlight switch was also melted because the previous owner didn't fuse the fog lights and lightbar the connections were horrible too, military splices held by zip ties. Amongst other things like the fact that it didn't have any brakes, was leaking fuel, and the rear ujoint was hanging on by a thread. I should of never bought it or drove it home in the first place but it angers the wife so much, so I kept it around ha.

Man that's tough. If it's the ecm then you could get a new one. As far as wiring that's a big problem. Anything melted or wired wrong needs to be repaired . That can be a cause unless you got it all replaced already. I hear you though. Take your time hang in there. **** happens around the holidays. I'm personally having a time of my life with my vehicles. Tis the season...

Reaction score
Honestly if I had more property I'd use this hoe for target practice or a trail rig. Ive replaced most of the wiring that look damaged but I have a feeling it all just needs to be gutted and start fresh. The majority of the loom on the exterior is crumbling and the wire is getting pretty stiff. If I had room in the garage it would be a different story all together. Ive worked on at least one vehicle every winter outside for the past 4 years in the driveway and I would rather not be out there come mid January like I have in the past. Im in MN just so you have an idea of how cold it is. My main worry is if my wifes ride decides to crap out im SOL. Both my backups are out of commission.. dam money pits. I plan to salvage most my new parts off of them and part ways in the spring. Either way its a loosing battle. I just want to say thanks again for the advice and listening to me vent.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly if I had more property I'd use this hoe for target practice or a trail rig. Ive replaced most of the wiring that look damaged but I have a feeling it all just needs to be gutted and start fresh. The majority of the loom on the exterior is crumbling and the wire is getting pretty stiff. If I had room in the garage it would be a different story all together. Ive worked on at least one vehicle every winter outside for the past 4 years in the driveway and I would rather not be out there come mid January like I have in the past. Im in MN just so you have an idea of how cold it is. My main worry is if my wifes ride decides to crap out im SOL. Both my backups are out of commission.. dam money pits. I plan to salvage most my new parts off of them and part ways in the spring. Either way its a loosing battle. I just want to say thanks again for the advice and listening to me vent.

Trust me I understand. Most you can do is make sure the main electrical stuff is good. Main cables under the hood, fuel pump, grounds, and the wires going to the ignition. Ecm plays a big role.
I would be in the same boat if I hadn't been in my accident earlier this year. I'm trying to keep my wifes car running too. When I get extra time I tinker with the suburban.

Theres smarter electrical guys on here that can throw some tips. Good luck with it. Keep us posted and when in doubt take pics

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
Long time lurker here. Im having troubles getting my hoe back and running after its been sitting over the summer. It has a new fuel pump, filter and spider. Getting about 10psi to the rail... I have about 1v difference at the pump versus the battery? Is this significant? The ground was pretty corrded at the crossmember by the tank. Do I need to replace the whole wire from the tank to the battery or should I just ground it as close as possible? Thanks for your time and advice, anything helps
I put a new fuel pump in my 1999 2-door Tahoe. Not a fun job!
As I recall, the new pump came with a modification to the harness / plug at the pump. Is it possible this is / was needed and didn't get installed?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dug into the fuse box under the hood and tried to run a new wire from the relay directly to the pump with no luck.

If you ran a good wire and it's still not working... then there is still the relay between the wire and the ECM. The AC relay is the same and sat right next to the fuel pump one. Try swapping them over.

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
does the fuel pump run at all?
if so you should get way more than 10 psi even if you have low voltage or a poor ground.
does the engine start and die after a second or two?
What does it do?