96 K1500 Burb seems to not be getting fuel. Cranks but wont start. Need advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yup that's what happened with the Burb. Just filled it on Wednesday, drove Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, Sunday go to move it and nope. Nada. Bupkis.......
Last year, not just now! Yes I had 5 buckets of unleaded in the yard, woulda siphoned more but had no more buckets.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Siphon all that gas into gas cans and other vehicles. Use a jack to lower the tank if you need to.

Cutting an access hole is a lazy solution and the downsides outweigh the time savings. If you cut an access hole, you really need a cover cut from another floorboard that overlaps at least an inch on each side. You'd want to nutsert around the hole to be able to bolt the new panel in place, and you'd want to seal it when it's bolted down. All said, that's more work than just draining and dropping the tank.

8thNote

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but did you do any other testing before dropping tank?
Yes, I've tested the relay and it is good. I tested the pins on the 3 way plug underneath going to the fuel pump and it is good. Everything else tested good. That's why I thought the pump was bad.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've tested the relay and it is good. I tested the pins on the 3 way plug underneath going to the fuel pump and it is good. Everything else tested good. That's why I thought the pump was bad.
And it’s grounded properly? If it tested out right, then what?
A new, bad pump? I’d retest everything again. With a spare battery, can you bench test your old pump? Just to see if it was bad?

8thNote

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And it’s grounded properly? If it tested out right, then what?
A new, bad pump? I’d retest everything again. With a spare battery, can you bench test your old pump? Just to see if it was bad?
I'm in the process of retesting now.

The black with white stripe in 3 pin connector is a ground correct? I'm a relative novice with a multimeter. But this one should show 0 ohms, correct?

I know grey is power to pump and purple is power to fuel gauge.

8thNote

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to OBD2, you and a quality scan tool, can command ON the fuel relay, thus allowing you (with an assistant) to test for power at the fuel pump pig tail.
I've got power to the grey wire for ~2 seconds when the key is turned to run (for prime).

And I have constant power on purple when key is turned to run