Need advice on SAS project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwatDawg15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's got to have 3k or he will trade for another truck.

Things wrong that i observed besides the brackets, tranny, ect

Massive oil leak on engine. Plus the head issues.
Tranny will have to be replaced with a compatable one
The pinion bearing in the 60 needs replaced.
The A/C lines and condensor are missing from the system

Just what I saw.. It would make a good project, but I dont think anyone will go 3k with that much stuff wrong right off the bat. I though the Dana 60 from the 91 was a good axle for the SAS swap? Maybe im wrong Idk.

SwatDawg15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I feel bad for the kid, he traded a good running 2001 C2500 chevy for this truck.. The ones that traded him took major advantage of him. Within the first two weeks the motor went, so they gave him this "305 with 350 heads". So he got that in, then the tranny went a week later. So he bought the tranny and np241 from a guy with a 95 that just had both rebuilt. Of course he didnt know about the 95 odd year deal. He installs the tranny and t-case drives it around the yard then the fuel pump quits... so thats how it sits. He will replace the pump this week to get it running hopefully. I do hope he does listen and don't drive it with the 95 tranny, or he will have wasted that 800 when it dies.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think 3k is too much for it. i thought your not supposed to run the shackle in the front on something thats gona be driven on the road alot.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
a shackle allows for a bit more sway, some people dont mind but it has a little more body roll persay than stock is all.

i feel bad for the kid but partially its his fault because it probably looked cool, its clear he doesnt know a ton about these trucks, but the owners for ripping him off is really bad. for all thats wrong with it such as engine trans and front axle swap its not worth 3k, now if you couldpick it up for cheap and redo the engine trans and axle youd have a well worth good looking truck.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
There's no right or wrong way to run the shackle, it's more preference. Front shackle causes the axle to swing forward and up which fights you when wheeling up obstacles, rear shackle the axle swings back and up making it easier to hop up obstacles when wheeling.

Now if you can pick it up dirt cheap and fix it all for under 5k it wouldn't be to bad. But like stated before it's the crappy 36.5 perch width dana 60 so you will rub anything over 35s.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
i seen much worse for twice the money,,if i had the room,,tools,,money,,ect,ect,,id say go for it..

Reaction score
id buy it n take everything off front clip bed etc n remove everything he did strip both axles down to nothing n start fresh get new perches n hangers. between buying the truck n fixing it n doing it right u will be under 5 grand unless u do some mods along the way