Parking Brake Stuck or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout67

Reaction score
I have a 96 5 speed and recently Ive been having issues with the truck not wanting to take off. I was driving it fine last week and I parked it and my battery expired cause it was old and I had to wait till this week to get a battery. Finally got it in there and went to take off and as soon as I roll off the clutch without adding gas and it starts to roll forward, it stalls really rough the truck acts like you hit a parking divider at low speed when parking. When I try to take off with gas, I can feel and hear the rear tires skipping and then it dies.

I bought the truck with a non functioning parking brake. It hangs super loose below the frame where its supposed to be mounted like it isnt conencted. The parking brake pedal is super loose too. It goes all the way down but when I use the release, it only come back up about halfway and the parking brake light stays (the cable is not engaged at this point cause I could drive normally with the light on and the pedla halfway up with no issue) on unless I pull it the rest of the way up while holding the release then the pedal will stay all the way up and the light turns off. So usually when I park it I will do that so the parking light isnt on cause Im OCD that way. My friend who is more mechanically inclined said that since my brakes are kinda weak they might have adjusted the rear drums and messed up the cable or forgot to attach it.

Im not very smart with cars so I tried looking up easy solutions like rocking the truck back and forth or engaging and releasing the cable several times but that did not work. I tried to also disconnect the little metal joint where the front of the cable connects to the back but I cannot get it out and the videos Ive seen all have different joints there and I just cannot figure out how to get it off without cutting the thing.

What is my next coarse of action here? Would removing that piece and disconnecting the cable fix it and if so how do I do it? or is it the piece that attached to the drums that is likely stuck? Or is it another issue all together?
Thabnks in advance

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Unfortunatly the common way to solve a rusted parking brake cable is to cut it off at the drum. Cut it off with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel, something that wont pinch it and keep it from releasing. Then spray penetrating oil inside the cut brake side cable if it doesn't immediately release.

Blackout67

Reaction score
Unfortunatly the common way to solve a rusted parking brake cable is to cut it off at the drum. Cut it off with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel, something that wont pinch it and keep it from releasing. Then spray penetrating oil inside the cut brake side cable if it doesn't immediately release.
Do I need to take off the wheel and drum to do that or is that something I just by just sliding up under it? My apartment complex is strict about self maintenance in the parking lot so I have to be quiet and discreet.

The weird part is it looks like it's engaging and releasing. I was watching the cable as I pushed the pedal and pulled the release. It would become more taught when the pedal is depressed and would loosen up with the release. I'm not sure how much it's supposed to move tho so I'm not sure if it's fully released or not.

Attached is the pic of the metal sleeve that holds the front end of the cable to the back part. Is there anyway to pull that off to relieve the pressure pulling on the brake cable? Or is that not how it works

Attachments

• IMG_20240517_155007018.jpg
    IMG_20240517_155007018.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 4

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE??? What brake option code--JB5?

You need a COMPLETE inspection of the rear brakes, including the wheel cylinders, springs, self-adjuster, etc.

My truck did what your description sounds like, when one of the shoes had the friction material break-off and get caught on the second shoe.

In addition, I'm guessing that you need all new park brake cables. ADJUST THE SERVICE BRAKES FIRST, then adjust the park brake cables.