Need a rebuild manual, and direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the flexplate was that warped, I'd expect problems with the starter motor when cranking.

I think you're gonna need a helper to hold the brake and throttle while you get under the vehicle to listen.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno. It sounds like it's coming more from the tail end, now that I'm hearing it more... I'm almost wondering if it's not that stupid anti clunk spring, that's kinda p shaped. It had gotten bent on the process, and I'm wondering if I didn't get it bent back right... But it sounds external, not internal... I wonder if it's maybe part of the rather intense 1-2 shift, or if that's from the upgraded parts I bought...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the flexplate?

I'd be looking for indications of the exhaust system moving around when the engine torques-over under medium-to-heavy load.

Well, it turned out being the exhaust hitting the trans mount crossbar. I guess somewhere along the way, the exhaust feel out of the first two of the three hangers. The first one is not able to get back into, while I had the exhaust out, I decided to weld the muffler on, because the band clamps suck and it would fall out about twice a year. Looks like we didn't get that first section clocked quite right. But it's about to go into the rest of them, and getting it in that second one lifted the exhaust about a half inch at the cross bar, when before I could barely fit a skinny wrench in there.

Also, a couple of the mount bolts that bolt the trans to the engine started backing out. The torque I looked up for them was like 35 lb-ft, which sounded low... So they got good ol armstrong torque (not to the ugga-duggas quite yet)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rob7233

Reaction score
For the OP, a free class is available on the 4L60E rebuild. You can go through Transmission Bench for the master parts rebuild kit too. Other classes for various models are also available. Great if you have more time than money or just want to or rather do it yourself. The YouTube link:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
ALSO GO TO: www.transmissionbench.com.

Also I'd suggest searching YouTube for "Precision Transmission" to watch Richard's tear down vids.