Need a rebuild manual, and direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tl;dr. Rebuild manual and parts kit recommendations? Pay to get it rebuilt? Buy a rebuilt one

Well, ol reliable popped the bed(95 c1500). Honestly, I'm surprised she made it home after seeing this. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I've rebuild the rear end in a 93 suburban I had, as well as the transfer case, and helped a buddy tear down an older power stroke, but I've never been in one of these boxes of voodoo magic. The last 6 years I was a service technician for a canon dealer fixing anything from small office printers to large production machines. So I at least know what end of a screwdriver to hold.

That being said, what would be a good manual that someone such as I could follow, that would walk me through it? Watching the keyboard warriors video bible (youtube) I've got an idea how they come apart and go back together, but manuals are great. Should I go the overall myself route, I'm thinking of getting something akin to monsters "monster in a box" even though the great and powerful tbi 4.3 doesn't even come close to 500 hp. I don't think I necessarily need a hardened sun shell, but I see the benefit. Since it's just my a to b daily, I'd like to keep the shifts soft, and the 4.3,tow? Yeah no. Not unless I have to. But I'd like to put all new steels and frictions, the wider band, and other things that the factory should have done. What kits would you guys recommend?

Being a 95, from what I hear, if I were to go the route of getting a rebuild transmission from somewhere, it would have to have come from a 95, correct? I've got limited funds of about a grand, but I've got a vehicle I can use in the mean time, for really as long as I need.

While a t56 or 4l80 swap would be nice, I don't think it's in the cards at the moment. But whichever way I go, I don't want to cheap out. I want to own this truck till the day I die, as it was my grandpa's that I inherited when he passed. But I need to stay in my budget, and my labor is free, compared to a shop (I know I know, my time does have value, but I've got a bit more time than I do money.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm no real help here but I just wanted to say that I've been down this road with a 4.3L truck and still ended up 4L80E swapping it later. I paid over $2K for a beefed up 4L60E and still killed it with the V6. Probably mostly my fault for messing with the tuning, but still not the result I was looking for. If I were in your situation I would strongly consider saving up a little and doing the 4L80E swap.

Also, don't buy anything from Monster Transmission. There's more horror stories about them all over the internet than I can count.

Here's a GM 4L60E technicians manual if it's of any assistance.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/4l60e-factory-service-manual.35524/

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no real help here but I just wanted to say that I've been down this road with a 4.3L truck and still ended up 4L80E swapping it later. I paid over $2K for a beefed up 4L60E and still killed it with the V6. Probably mostly my fault for messing with the tuning, but still not the result I was looking for. If I were in your situation I would strongly consider saving up a little and doing the 4L80E swap.

Also, don't buy anything from Monster Transmission. There's more horror stories about them all over the internet than I can count.

Here's a GM 4L60E technicians manual if it's of any assistance.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/4l60e-factory-service-manual.35524/
Yeah, I'm not going to fiddle with any tuning. I generally try to baby it and maintain it well. But, towing a u-haul with all my crap in it (4*8) over 4 or 5 mountain passes, I know wasn't easy on it.

But the factory manual is exactly what I'm after. I feel like if anyone is bound to be as detailed as I'm after, it will be the manufacturer.

I have heard bad things about monster.

I really only need this to last maybe 10 years or so, I plan on turning her into a Nascar truck, in about 8 to 10 years. By that time I should have the funds to sink a bunch of money into it.

Last edited:

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
https://globaltransmissionparts.com/4l60e-super-master-transmission-rebuild-kit-9303/

This is the kit that I'm about to get. I think it has everything is want/need?

That GM manual has some great parts diagrams and fluid flow/how stuff works diagrams. What turns what, etc.

I found an atsg book that seems to be an overall guide, while that GM book is more an illustrated parts manual (which are still really helpful.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try Oregon performance transmission for your parts and the well even sell you a manual with pictures. I've bought several kits from them and they are top shelf and a lot cheaper

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try Oregon performance transmission for your parts and the well even sell you a manual with pictures. I've bought several kits from them and they are top shelf and a lot cheaper
Looking at oregon, it appears to be mostly the same as the monster kits.

Oregon has two different kits, a master overhaul kit, and a "stage 3". While I don't "need" the stage three, I do want to get whatever it is I can to give it the most longevity. With all the extras I want with the basic kit, it bumps the price up to about what the base stage 3 is. And even the stage 3, I want to upgrade the frictions and steels, do they goes up another couple hundred bucks.

I did find this kit https://globaltransmissionparts.com/4l60e-super-master-transmission-rebuild-kit-9303/

But it's prolific use of buzz words "super extra hd performance" really makes me steer away.

Should I replace the torque converter while I'm in there?

A bearing came apart somewhere, you can see a few roller pins in there. Any clues to which one? And what collateral damage should I expect inside? Or am I just way overthinking this?

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I found the problem. Bearing in the forward planetary failed. Chewed up the gear set, all 4 planets and the sun gear has come taken out. The bottom portion of the 2/4servo got hammered on too. Got those parts coming.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ouch, nice work.
What kit did you decided on?
The oregon base master rebuild kit with upgraded frictions, new steels, seals, bearings, gaskets and sprags, with assembly lube and a can of cooler clean. Ended up being about 400. I still want it to shift smooth, and I assume their "stage 3" would add a bit of harshness to the shifts

I might have to get a new spacer plate I believe it's called, the thin steel that goes between the valve body and the trans housing, because I'm pretty sure the one check ball that's not supposed to be able to pass through, does.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add a couple words of advice.
1. Definitely replace the converter
2. Flush cooling lines, rad, external cooler if equipped.
3. Clean everything to the point of being spotless.
4. Don’t reuse any parts that have damaged bearing/thrust surfaces.
5. Completely disassemble and clean valve body. All valves must be completely free and operate smooth.
6. Read up on common failure points, issues with the trans as this is the time to take care of them. There are correction kits for issues with tcc, boost valve, etc. Not sure which specific issues the 95 had.

I am not a transmission expert so there are likely better qualified people here that can help you along, but I have built a couple dozen over the years. Just wanted to add a little encouragement and advice that has helped me. If you are a detail oriented type, a transmission build is definitely possible. Good luck!