Need a rebuild manual, and direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well guys, it's been nearly 4 months since I've under taken the rebuild. It's been a mighty ****** winter here in the pnw, with plenty of rain, and I'm working in my driveway. I was able to finally get the trans bolted up on Saturday, and got the truck started. I put about 5 quarts in before starting, let it run for maybe 3 seconds, and shut it off, refilled with a few more quarts (drive shaft and exhaust still all disconnected) ran that for maybe 10 seconds, and filled her up again, this time after starting, I ran it into reverse, and the speedo started climbing, then shifted into drive, pausing in neutral (driveshaft still disconnected) and watched the speed climb again, and shut her down in drive, waited a bit then put it in park, since I had no way of stopping the trans, I didn't want to slam the parking paul.

Fast forward to Monday, topped her off, hooked everything back up , and went for a few drives. I'm amazed that everything worked first try. Ran it just up and down the driveway (which is just barely long enough to fit three vehicles, bumper to bumper) then around the block, then around town, then across town. Got back and she was about a quart low. Topped her off again and took her on the freeway. Everything is about 99%!

The ONE issue I'm having is under medium load/torque(driving around town, anything more than about half throttle), the flaxplate seems to be rattling/rubbing on something. The starter wasn't touched, and we didn't take the flaxplate off, though we tried, in an attempt to replace the freeze plugs, but of the 4 bolts we tried to get off, only one moved. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did end up putting a Corvette servo in it, and I believe a higher pressure boost valve, which I probably should have left the boost valve alone, the 1-2 shift is quite firm. All the other shifts are firm, but nowhere near as harsh as that 1-2.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the flexplate?

I'd be looking for indications of the exhaust system moving around when the engine torques-over under medium-to-heavy load.

Although...I did have a problem once with a starter motor. The drive seemed to slide rearward under acceleration and grind on the flexplate teeth. This did not last long, that starter burnt-up by the time I got across town. There was some electrical problem with the wiring to the starter.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean... No. I'm not SURE. but it didn't seem like a normal rattle. It sounds a lot like when a drill with a clutch on it, torques out(kinda like a hollow sounding, weak impact gun), but no grinding. . But I don't have the trans mount or the two braces that go from the motor mount area to the bottom flex plate cover, so things ARE loose. It just started pouring rain and well... The driveway is a puddle now... So I wasn't too keen on getting back under there

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't drive it until you get the trans mount bolted in place.

By the way--congratulations on overhauling your trans. I've done older transmissions, but never a overdrive automatic. I see this in my future.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was quite the undertaking. It took me about 4 months, but I was also in flight school. The atsg manual I had was a huge help, and I had recently started watching a guy rebuild jet engines, and I think a lot of the little things I learned from watching him really helped. Stuff like cleaning all your hardware so you had clean bolts going in clean holes, and checking every bolt and hole, so you weren’t fighting crummy threads AND alignment. And you should never really need a hammer.

I’ll get the mount all bolted up and see if that changes anything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, I had the mount in and the bolts started, but not tight. Got everything in and tight now, so we'll see

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, still does it. It sounds like the flaxplate is warped and knocking against the bell housing under torque, but as the engine grains rpm, it gets straight enough to not make a noise