My opinion of the "free" or "cheap" tbi mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've driven genuinely fast cars before, I was just trying to make the distinction between the difference from 0* to 8* in timing. It Jay ran alot better and with a timing light on it, it still advanced properly with throttle as if it were stock.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When you get around to it do some graphing on the knock readings and knock retard.

Richard

Reaction score
Will do, I'm not pretending to know a whole lot about running or anything, I just know overall it seems to run better throughout the rpm range there at 8*. Knock retard is still new to me as I've just started reading about it not long ago. It's probably pretty high at 8.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
His balancer may not be exactly right, and 8° on it may be dead on 0. Don't discount stuff like that when doing things of the sort.

Reaction score
That's a very good point. When I first bought the truck it was running at almost 4* retarded. I also have one of those MAC dial timing lights and if I set the dial at 0 and mark at let's say 6* I have to turn the dial up to 12* to get the mark back to the 0 notch. Lately I've also developed a miss in the 1 and 2 cylinders but the rest are firing normally. A friend thinks it's a bad distributor.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I know it's not the right thing to do now, but I didn't know it was wrong then and ran 8* on my 305 and gained 70 hp..... with water/ meth injection to cool the fire and eliminate the knock....another 40 hp

Pontiacs-r-us

Reaction score
Was thinking about distribor &/or balancer while reading the timing ideas.These distributors or notorious for cracking in the advance plate.Lots of times it runs fine one day,next day you here some spark nock on same drive.In other words it comes and goes... Inspect it,& Replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Was thinking about distribor &/or balancer while reading the timing ideas.These distributors or notorious for cracking in the advance plate.Lots of times it runs fine one day,next day you here some spark nock on same drive.In other words it comes and goes... Inspect it,& Replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly what has been going on in my truck for a while, up until it finally pooped out on me here recently. Hoping to have some money for a distributor tomorrow. Thought I had the problem nailed down yesterday when I changed the number 1 and 2 plugs and it ran normally for all of a half way around the block and started chugging again. I figure it has to be the distributor.