My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got restarted on this thing. I have a stabilizer with drag link, wondering if it's worth the effort to install? I'd need to weld in a couple mounts I figure to the truck itself.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got some parts fresh from powder coating.

Managed to fish those bits of sending unit out of the fuel lines. Had to remove the lines from the truck and use a damn vise to dig them out. Total ****** asspain.

Gonna chip away more tomorrow.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Got restarted on this thing. I have a stabilizer with drag link

Center link with a steering stabilizer? Our trucks don't have drag links.

I have the steering stabilizer. There seem to be only one or maybe two companies that make a stock type replacement for it. Mine is a Monroe, and is probably worn again. I've never driven the truck with it off, so I can't comment on whether it's an improvement or not.

Managed to fish those bits of sending unit out of the fuel lines.

How did that happen???

Edit: Oh wait, I think I understand now. You have the quick connects like I do. You didn't mess up the four little springs in the lines did you? I've done my pump twice. The first time I broke the end off like you did, and was then able to get the release tool in there. The second time I got half the tool in, and used a couple of picks to hit the other springs.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I was installing the rear shocks it seemed as though the axle sat crooked.

If you look closely you can see the gate is higher on the right than the left. I think it's time to see a frame shop.

My 1993's rear axle looks just like that while it's on a hoist. The passenger side sits a good 1.5-2" higher, also a 14b SF. Bushings are still good, the truck sits level side to side on the ground, removing the shocks doesn't make it drop. Hopefully you find an answer as to why they do that

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Center link with a steering stabilizer? Our trucks don't have drag links.

I have the steering stabilizer. There seem to be only one or maybe two companies that make a stock type replacement for it. Mine is a Monroe, and is probably worn again. I've never driven the truck with it off, so I can't comment on whether it's an improvement or not.

How did that happen???

Edit: Oh wait, I think I understand now. You have the quick connects like I do. You didn't mess up the four little springs in the lines did you? I've done my pump twice. The first time I broke the end off like you did, and was then able to get the release tool in there. The second time I got half the tool in, and used a couple of picks to hit the other springs.

Dude I tried horsing release tools in there in the truck and it was a no go. Lots of wasted time and cuss words better devoted to other asspains this thing has dealt. I had to remove the ******* lines from the truck and put them in a vise. I released the locks 1 by 1 without ******* them up and was eventually able to get the bits out with a self tapping screw grabbing the guts and a set of vise grips on the screw. I spend considerably less time removing the lines and horsing the bits out on the vise than I did failing with the lines on the truck. Never again, I'll just buy the proper recessed tool next time.

What are the two parts on the lower right?

Those are the bump stop mounts.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check out these 2 front body mounts, what do you think?

Got my GMT900 rear body mounts in and they're ****** huge. No wonder they seem to help.

Got nitpicky on the frame and scrubbed most every morsel of rust off save for the complex shapes of the body mounts, kinda did what I could there. Gonna prime and paint rear section tomorrow, install new fuel filter, fuel lines, and fuel tank. Before all that going to try pounding the old leaf spring bushings out so I can squeeze the new ones in. I'll torque those bolts with weight on wheels.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even if it feels like I'm getting nowhere, I've still made good progress. Plus I did swap the trans cross member for the powdercoated one.

My nitpicking at frame rust removal is my single biggest time killer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got off my ass and biffed some new bushings into these leaves, assembled, and installed. Painted the rear section of frame and have that mostly buttoned back up as well. Here's some before and after.

The last 2 were with the primer half dry.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Springs in, frame painted.

Here's my 7 year old 1" ORD lift blocks. As you can see they started putting **** on the roads in the last few years that eats away at the chassis. Those leaf pin bolts are seized the **** in there. Gonna have these blasted and powdercoated and, if the rear is high enough on my 1500, I can toss these onto the dually to have a more level loaded stance with the camper.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cleaned the right side body mounts today, a bit of a chore. Also did more cleaning of the frame in general on the entire right side. Front and rear mounts were trashed, center just fine.

Center vs rear.

Rear and front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers