My GMC stopped running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meshal

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought a used GMC Yukon 1994 350 TBI, and the previous owner installed electric fans with a 140 amps alternator, I am not sure about the alternator.

In the first week, I noticed that when I turned on the AC the battery gauge on the dashboard get down and the truck shuts off when I stop pressing the gas paddle.

Also, this week I noticed when the electric fans start at the second speed the battery gauge on the dashboard gets down and the truck shuts off when I stop pressing the gas paddle.

I'm thinking to upgrade the alternator to this one (WAI GLOBAL 8165NHO) 200 amps but do I have to upgrade anything else?

If there is anyone has a solution for this problem please help :(

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd kick those electric fans to the scrap bin, and reinstall a proper fan, fan clutch, and shroud.

Probably not that easy in Saudi Arabia.

Verify that the battery hasn't begun it's descent into uselessness. Need to fully-charge and then test for no-load voltage, and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) which seems odd being as you're in a desert...but it's still a measure of battery capacity. A weak alternator can kill a battery. A failing battery can kill an alternator. A corroded/loose/damaged wire harness can kill either--or both.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is failing for sure. I have dual electric fans, Front rear AC and a 140 amp alt. Mine never goes dead with it all running.
I did also upgrade all under hood positive and negative cables and grounds.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look at the basics first. How old is your battery? If it's 4 years old, consider getting a new one, If it's 5+ definitely get a new one.

I do and don't agree with @Schurkey on electric fans. If your fan is an aftermarket electric fan, then 100% throw it out. I have a VERY bad taste in my mouth for anything aftermarket cooling in these trucks.

That being said, an electric fan is a worthwhile upgrade IF AND ONLY IF you use GM Branded electric fans. @kennythewelder is a moderator on this forum and he's installed an electric fan from a 2004 Cadillac DTS on his truck. I also know that GMT800 (99-06/07 classic) electric fans work as well too.

That being said, you live in Saudi Arabia so I don't think American Cars are all that common over there for you to go over to a junkyard and pick apart a vehicle, so the easiest conversion would be to go back to a mechanical fan so if you NEED this SUV up and running ASAP this would be the best option

Here's the link for the conversion:

meshal

Reaction score
Thank you guys, I will try your solutions.

Also, my electric fans are from Subaru, and there are multiple people who use it and it works fine, my battery is 3 years old with 600 CCA.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my electric fans are from Subaru, and there are multiple people who use it and it works fine,
Fans intended to cool ~2 liters, are going to be outclassed and overworked trying to cool 5.7 liters.

There's also the matter of fans and fan shrouds that block airflow at higher speed--but I don't know how your fan shroud is arranged or designed.

my battery is 3 years old with 600 CCA.
It was rated for 600 CCA when new. Does it STILL have 600 CCA, or has it weakened in the three years of use?

The only way to know is to test it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1 - check your battery connections. If you still have side-posts, clean the mating surface. If you have top-posts, run a brush around the inside of the terminals.

I'd run a 900+ CA battery. It gives you extra headroom for problems, and they're not much more expensive here. I don't know how the pricing is over there, though.

You need a heavy duty fan, and although others might say a Subie fan is adequate, it isn't. I'm not against aftermarket fans so long as you're buying a quality fan that flows at least 3000 CFM - you probably need even more. I ran a Flex-A-Lite Black Magic 2400 CFM fan on my RX-7 for years and it was solid, even in 110 degree F weather.

If you haven't upgraded to a one-ton radiator, I would. Just like the battery, it's a little more overhead if something goes wrong.

Out of curiosity, do you plan on driving this out in the dunes much, or is it an around-town truck? If it's for the dunes, I'd definitely oversize the battery and radiator and overbuild the major systems on the truck.

If you do climb dunes, note that you can't bang on the rev-limiter like you can a Toyota or Nissan V8 without doing a lot of work on the engine's internals. 4-bolt mains, expensive rods, expensive valvetrain, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

Wwwebchief

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought a used GMC Yukon 1994 350 TBI, and the previous owner installed electric fans with a 140 amps alternator, I am not sure about the alternator.

In the first week, I noticed that when I turned on the AC the battery gauge on the dashboard get down and the truck shuts off when I stop pressing the gas paddle.

Also, this week I noticed when the electric fans start at the second speed the battery gauge on the dashboard gets down and the truck shuts off when I stop pressing the gas paddle.

I'm thinking to upgrade the alternator to this one (WAI GLOBAL 8165NHO) 200 amps but do I have to upgrade anything else?

If there is anyone has a solution for this problem please help :(
Check the battery with a multimeter while trying to start the motor. A battery that shows fully charged @ 12.0 volts or more can still be a bad battery. If while trying to crack the motor and the voltage drops to 3,4 or 5 volts or something in that lower range, then your battery needs replacing. Also, while the engine is running, you can place your multi meter leads, (red on red and black on black) on your battery to see if the alternator is producing enough voltage to keep your battery charged. You should see something around 13.9-14.8 volts. A good reading is something around 14.2. Hope this helps you or someone else.

meshal

Reaction score
Hi all, I have changed the IAC and the cable and now it didn't stop running but I have another problem it's running rich I will try to buy a repair kit for the throttle body.

Also, I want to change my electric fans to Yukon 2007+ because yesterday the gauge temperature went to 100c.