My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While text is good, photos are great, video takes the cake (when possible)
Maybe I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow. I still have to install the pkg/turn housings and air cleaner. :cool: I don't do You Tube or any other video forum, sorry. :33: Sometimes I kinda wish I did, this thing really sounds good and strong with the 3" Borla Pro XS muffler. You can certainly tell it has a cam :waytogo:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I'll take a couple pictures tomorrow. I still have to install the pkg/turn housings and air cleaner. :cool: I don't do You Tube or any other video forum, sorry. :33: Sometimes I kinda wish I did, this thing really sounds good and strong with the 3" Borla Pro XS muffler. You can certainly tell it has a cam :waytogo:
Uploading video is above my pay grade as well (and our internet capabilities here). I'll settle for photos if/when they make it up.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres been a lot of issues with flat tappet lifters lately. The only ones made in USA anymore are made by Hylift Johnson in Muskegon Mich. The only retail supplier of these lifters seems to be Isky. The rest of em its hit or miss getting good ones. They are junk made in china or india with incorrect hardnesses, or not ground to allow the lifter to rotate in the bore as the cam lobe pushes it. Additionally I have left the weak valve springs installed just for break in with a flat tappet cam along with using Shell Rotella oil on break in. Then switch to your heavier valve springs.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are junk made in china or india with incorrect hardnesses, or not ground to allow the lifter to rotate in the bore as the cam lobe pushes it. Additionally I have left the weak valve springs installed just for break in with a flat tappet cam along with using Shell Rotella oil on break in. Then switch to your heavier valve springs.
Yeah, another reason I went to a roller cam. ;)

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My old mopar V8s are flat tappet. Never an issue. I just spent $270 for a set of USA made Hylift Johnson lifters to run with a 68 340 cam for my next build. No issues are expected.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fired it up, ran it for a while with the laptop hooked up and data logging. Here's the dash with the oil pressure 71 PSI while warming up at 2110 RPM. At idle it's ~50 at full operating temperature.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a screen shot of the What's Up Display after fully warmed up in Closed Loop. When I turn on the A/C the IAC goes from ~10+ to 41 steps shown here. The Map stays the same.

I started playing with the warm idle and A/C on or off. I had to mess with the IAC Stall Saver since, it would die when I dropped it in gear. Couldn't get it right running in Close Loop so, I switched to Open Loop at Idle and got it to stay running when in gear. In Park/Neutral I have it set to 800 RPM with A/C off and ~825 with it on. Now, trying to keep it at 800, it's surging back and forth between 750 up to ~900 with the IAC jumping a few steps. I think I'll leave it this way for now and do some VE Learns and Data Logs to dial it in better. Then I'll go back to the surging and maybe be able to get it to run in CL with no issues.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you define how far from idle it must stray before the ECM intervenes to try and maintain that desired idle speed? The 411 has that, and it's something you have to loosen up when you put a decent sized cam in.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I fired it up, ran it for a while with the laptop hooked up and data logging. Here's the dash with the oil pressure 71 PSI while warming up at 2110 RPM. At idle it's ~50 at full operating temperature.

Here's a screen shot of the What's Up Display after fully warmed up in Closed Loop. When I turn on the A/C the IAC goes from ~10+ to 41 steps shown here. The Map stays the same.

I started playing with the warm idle and A/C on or off. I had to mess with the IAC Stall Saver since, it would die when I dropped it in gear. Couldn't get it right running in Close Loop so, I switched to Open Loop at Idle and got it to stay running when in gear. In Park/Neutral I have it set to 800 RPM with A/C off and ~825 with it on. Now, trying to keep it at 800, it's surging back and forth between 750 up to ~900 with the IAC jumping a few steps. I think I'll leave it this way for now and do some VE Learns and Data Logs to dial it in better. Then I'll go back to the surging and maybe be able to get it to run in CL with no issues.

Sounds like you may need to mess with the Idle Correction Timing tables. Maybe cut them in half to start with. A stock type cam typically requires more advance/retard to control the idle speed.