My Flat Tappet Cam Wiped Out So I Decided To Go Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you define how far from idle it must stray before the ECM intervenes to try and maintain that desired idle speed? The 411 has that, and it's something you have to loosen up when you put a decent sized cam in.
This is pretty new territory for me, there's a lot of tables for IAC (you can see some of them on the left). I'm playing a little with these, mainly the Idle Speed Tables by adding or subtracting down the whole table. I'm gonna have to read up more on this and, as always, appreciate any input.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may need to mess with the Idle Correction Timing tables. Maybe cut them in half to start with. A stock type cam typically requires more advance/retard to control the idle speed.
Which one(s) is(are) that? I've never messed with that. Here's what I have for options...

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing for airflow though for over/undershooting idle speed, huh? It's all MAP and not mass airflow back then I suppose.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you update with your new displacement?

back in the old days we would drill a larger in the hole in the throttle body after a cam swap.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you update with your new displacement?
Yes, the ECM doesn't use displacement for much of anything. It does use Base Pulse Constant vs VAC (or another table for Boost if you got that). :biggrin:

back in the old days we would drill a larger in the hole in the throttle body after a cam swap.
Yeah, I did jack up the IAC Max Steps from ~124 - 250. It is a bored out 46 mm TB instead of the stock 42mm. I also bored the Edelbrock 3704 intake to 48 mm. I may wind up using my injectors from a 7.4L or going to my 28 LB spring (from my 18LB set to 20 PSI now) later when I start doing some WOT runs, depending on my AFRs and Injector DCs. Or some combination of them :33: