My dd S10 Xtreme

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I bought my s10, I had every intention of pulling the 4.3 and installing a 350. After using the 4.3 for a while, I ended up liking it. There just is something about that motor that works in an s10.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thats sucks! If you were closer I would have just given you a 4.3 out of my parts blazer.

At least with the Jasper, you wont worry about anything or waste your time and money trying to fix a used engine.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats sucks! If you were closer I would have just given you a 4.3 out of my parts blazer.

At least with the Jasper, you wont worry about anything or waste your time and money trying to fix a used engine.
I had a friend who offered a used engine but I didn't want to have to pull an engine that supposedly ran but he didn't know anything about it otherwise.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stooopid freakin paint! I washed the long block, acetone and used a tack rag. I primed and let it dry. I sprayed paint in light coats and overnight the freakin paint lifted! Apparently the primer and paint weren't compatible. I stripped it completely down and just used a high temp semi gloss black. I put my blue on and it looked a bit purple. I said screw it, I need to get it done so I popped on the water pump and just sprayed it blue. Son of a gun its not purple!

So guess what? I went and bought silver paint and sprayed the whole dang thing one single light color because apparently the blue is translucent enough to have a base color show. Grrrr. Either way this engine will NEVER rust because it has more coats of paint than a Craigslist rebuild.

BTW, it is finally blue!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4.3 sitting in my backyard from my 99 Silverado that got swapped to a 5.3 due to low oil pressure. Engine still ran fine when I pulled it...no knocking or rattling. I was thinking about rebuilding just for the experience, but probably won't happen, as I've got other projects popping up.

I'd hate to just drag it to the landfill, but I'm afraid that's what will happen, you know... Can you post a photo of your engine?

Maybe I can convince myself to rebuild it and donate it to someone in need? Lots of folks run this engine day-to-day...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211211-202500.png
    Screenshot_20211211-202500.png
    1 MB · Views: 6

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have a 4.3 sitting in my backyard from my 99 Silverado that got swapped to a 5.3 due to low oil pressure. Engine still ran fine when I pulled it...no knocking or rattling. I was thinking about rebuilding just for the experience, but probably won't happen, as I've got other projects popping up.

I'd hate to just drag it to the landfill, but I'm afraid that's what will happen, you know... Can you post a photo of your engine?

Maybe I can convince myself to rebuild it and donate it to someone in need? Lots of folks run this engine day-to-day...

Hopefully, you wouldn't actually take an engine to the dump where its just buried. Around here a scrapper would take it, or a quick sale on Marketplace if I wanted to make a few bucks, or find a person you wanted to donate it too..... my last "sale" on FB Marketplace ended up being a donation. It was a push mower.... an old one. Older than the typical used one. An out of state collector wanted me to ship him parts, which I didn't really have time for. I told him, you drive here and its yours. He showed up and he was going to hand me money, but I had already planned on just giving it to him since he was driving a couple of hours one way.

It was a neat old mower and in decent shape, but had sat likely for decades.....a 1973 Toro with cast deck. It would have been cool to have in running condition, but I'm not THAT into lawn mowers to want to restore one.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Stooopid freakin paint! I washed the long block, acetone and used a tack rag. I primed and let it dry. I sprayed paint in light coats and overnight the freakin paint lifted! Apparently the primer and paint weren't compatible.

What paint and primer were you using? I don't think I've had paint lift since I wa a kid trying to use lacquer and enamel together.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe the primer was applied too thick and/or not fully dried? That's usually the cause of topcoats wrinkling...the previous paint is still off-gassing?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What paint and primer were you using? I don't think I've had paint lift since I wa a kid trying to use lacquer and enamel together.
I didn't check the type because there were both duplicolor and I haven't had issues before. This was their engine primer with ceramic which I haven't used before with Indigo Blue Metallic. I did several light coats about 20-30 minutes apart for the primer then I came back about 4 hours later and hit it with the blue. It looked great that night but the next day it was blue potato chips.

Currently I'm semi gloss black engine with ceramic, blue, cast aluminum with ceramic and finally blue. There is at least 3 coats of each.