My dd S10 Xtreme

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I didn't check the type because there were both duplicolor and I haven't had issues before. This was their engine primer with ceramic which I haven't used before with Indigo Blue Metallic. I did several light coats about 20-30 minutes apart for the primer then I came back about 4 hours later and hit it with the blue. It looked great that night but the next day it was blue potato chips.

Currently I'm semi gloss black engine with ceramic, blue, cast aluminum with ceramic and finally blue. There is at least 3 coats of each.

I really haven't used much of the specialty type paints. It must be that they are special enough that they aren't compatible with other formulas. If I do use something more specialized, I try to use whatever products may be in the same line, just for this reason. This thread make me want to paint something now.... too bad it's so cold here. I really should paint some snow blower parts...

Looking forward to your pictures!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really haven't used much of the specialty type paints. It must be that they are special enough that they aren't compatible with other formulas. If I do use something more specialized, I try to use whatever products may be in the same line, just for this reason. This thread make me want to paint something now.... too bad it's so cold here. I really should paint some snow blower parts...

Looking forward to your pictures!
Here we are. You can't see much of the blue but I know that it is there.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is that paint metallic, or just the lighting? Looks pretty good. How did you get the aluminum bracketry so clean.... thorough blasting, or is that paint too?

I'd love to paint my engine. I have repainted the water pump pully a couple of times, and when I was still running the metal fan, I painted that too. The last water pump I painted with hammered black, which looks more like a dark metallic grey. The rest, I just keep clean.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that paint metallic, or just the lighting? Looks pretty good. How did you get the aluminum bracketry so clean.... thorough blasting, or is that paint too?

I'd love to paint my engine. I have repainted the water pump pully a couple of times, and when I was still running the metal fan, I painted that too. The last water pump I painted with hammered black, which looks more like a dark metallic grey. The rest, I just keep clean.
That is cast aluminum paint. I did the basic preparation of cleaning in the solvent tank, hit it with brake cleaner and then acetone. I normally use a primer then paint but I didn't after the previous debacle. I probably should have done the valve covers in blue but it is too late for that now.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That is cast aluminum paint. I did the basic preparation of cleaning in the solvent tank, hit it with brake cleaner and then acetone. I normally use a primer then paint but I didn't after the previous debacle. I probably should have done the valve covers in blue but it is too late for that now.

Aren't those valve covers plastic? Would the paint even hold up?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only "upgrades" are the mpfi injectors and the aluminum distributor. Otherwise it has a hot air intake, no cat and a Magnaflow. On the trip when it died I was running 75+ and pulling 25-26mpg. Not bad at all for a truck running 275/40r17 on all 4 corners. It would be nice if it has some decent power, the last one was pretty lazy.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4.3 sitting in my backyard from my 99 Silverado that got swapped to a 5.3 due to low oil pressure. Engine still ran fine when I pulled it...no knocking or rattling. I was thinking about rebuilding just for the experience, but probably won't happen, as I've got other projects popping up.

I'd hate to just drag it to the landfill, but I'm afraid that's what will happen, you know... Can you post a photo of your engine?

Maybe I can convince myself to rebuild it and donate it to someone in need? Lots of folks run this engine day-to-day...
Just curious. Do you know why the oil pressure is low? Mine started faltering out and I’m hoping it’s just the sensor, but it only does it under throttle l.