My Old SRT-4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
This old lump of coal is my past 2003 SRT-4. I purchased it from a guy who had it built by a SRT-4 enthusiast in San Antonio, TX named PJB Werks. Pretty cool group of guys. I follow them on Facebook at times. They have some pretty nasty neons pushing past 800hp. This car when I purchased it was making around 350hp at the time.

I used the money I sold an 07' Wrangler TJ to purchase this car for $6,500 back in 2017. Wanted something more "fun" to drive and these little gremlins where on my bucket list.

Mods:
Wisco forged pistons
Eagle forged rods
Stock crank
AGP 50 trim turbo kit and log exhaust manifold, waste gated to atmosphere
Old school AGP log intake manifold
Boomba 70mm throttle body
Custom 2 gallon surge tank -6AN lines Walbro 255 to the tank
Bosch 044 fuel pump from surge tank to the fuel rail
Aeromotive 1000 fuel pressure regulator
BC Titanium Valves +1 intake/+2mm exhaust
BC Titanium retainers/keepers
BC High lift valve springs
Crowler (Not the wimpy Brian Crowler brand) 280/280 cams
Solid motor mounts
Front lower control arm torque bars
ACT 6 puck clutch
HKS blow off valve
3" intercooler kit
AGP big front mount intercooler
Boomba fuel rail
FIC 1350cc injectors
Haltech 1500 ECU
GM flex fuel sensor
The list goes on...

Story of the car is: I picked the car up in my early stages of "tuning" cars. The car hit the dyno and ran out of fuel at around 5800 rpm at around 315 hp, 372 ftlbs tq. It needed bigger injectors to get past 22 psi of boost so I purchased the FIC 1350cc injectors to help the car get the fuel it needed. I ended up wiring in the injector pig tails at my tuners dyno shop while it sat cooling off in the parking lot. I was in a rush and wanted to check that the injectors would work before I buttoned everything back up. I forgot that I didn't heat shrink the spliced wires to the injectors and started the car. The positive and negative wires of one injector touched, once the car turned on and vibrated. That shorted out one of the injector drivers in the stock stage 3 PCM. So I had a paperweight in the parking lot at that moment.

My tuner was able to resource and overnight a Haltech 1500 ECU and we installed that onto the car. Went and made some pulls on the mustang dyno and it made 389 hp at 428 ftlbs TQ at 4300 rpm before the fuel pump crapped the bed. I went back and replaced the fuel pump with a bosch 044 unit the next day and returned that next night. The car screamed up to 6800 rpm redline at 500+TQ and 490ish HP IIRC at 35 psi on e85. Boy was she a monster then! Drove the car for another year and took it with me to my next duty station here in Virginia. I couldn't get the A/C to work that summer of 2019 because at idle with the Haltech ECU it would kill the car every time the A/C clutch kicked in. I tried every way to get that dang A/C working and fought the IAC valve in every parameter the Haltech had in it's arsenal but I gave up and traded it to a buddy of mine for his stock grandma tan Honda civic lx with a 5 speed manual with working A/C. I still maintenance the SRT-4 as its in the Norfolk, VA area and I'm just a few miles away in Portsmouth, VA. I contacted Eric the current owner and he said he would only sell it to me and no one else and at the cost of $6,500. I'll buy it back in the future so I can take it out and hurt feelings in it on car meet nights. Eric just lets it sit outside the front of his house and collect sun rays. A/C still doesn't work good and I might end up in the morgue if I bring it back home again. My wife HATES this car lol. I don't mind, if I get it back it'll be a street pounder and a track car. I traded in the civic after a year of slow puttering around Hampton Roads in it and found an all stock red SRT-4, with A/C! Next thread!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1661183627248.jpg
    FB_IMG_1661183627248.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 4

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny my brother just bought an SRT-4 last week from a guy whose wife, who initially owned it, but passed away. Been mostly sitting in a garage with 110K on it. Picked it up for $1800.00 in excellent condition.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like most cars, if they've not been abused by the youth and taken care of then they're great cars. Two years into owning mine the only thing it's wanted was a front right abs sensor. Been rock solid since, it's now 117,*** miles.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny my brother just bought an SRT-4 last week from a guy whose wife, who initially owned it, but passed away. Been mostly sitting in a garage with 110K on it. Picked it up for $1800.00 in excellent condition.
Be sure to tell you're brother if he doesn't want it to ride like a bag of bricks to stay away from coil overs. My old blue one had the "good" BC coilovers and it rode like crap. My red one is almost 100% stock and has a stock suspension and struts. Rides like a dream for a 4 door sedan.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I lived in So Cal we called them skittles, my nephew had one that was stage 3 from the factory. His buddy had an 07 SRT8 Charger and that little ****** would run with that charger to about 80, after that the charger walked away. That little skittle was pretty damn quick.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 1980s 2.2 turbo mopars were the granddaddys that started it all. I have a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby in the corner of my shop waiting its turn. Engine and trans are rebuilt. Engine has been worked over by me during the rebuild process. Should make about 325hp on 22 psi of boost. It's a single cam 8 valve engine so that's about max and still be streetable. Theres guys using the neon 2.0L 16v head on the old 2.2 and 2.5 blocks and building a "hybrid" turbo and these work really well. ARP even makes deadbolts for the swap. Thanks for the memories. The SRT-4 was the grandson of those original ones.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 1980s 2.2 turbo mopars were the granddaddys that started it all. I have a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby in the corner of my shop waiting its turn. Engine and trans are rebuilt. Engine has been worked over by me during the rebuild process. Should make about 325hp on 22 psi of boost. It's a single cam 8 valve engine so that's about max and still be streetable. Theres guys using the neon 2.0L 16v head on the old 2.2 and 2.5 blocks and building a "hybrid" turbo and these work really well. ARP even makes deadbolts for the swap. Thanks for the memories. The SRT-4 was the grandson of those original ones.

I had a 1985 Lebaron 2.2 turbo/5 speed that I beat on every day. It finally started on fire at 240,000 miles due to an oil leak on the exhaust. That car took some abuse.