My beyond midlife crisis build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Click image for larger version.

Name: image.jpg
Views: 15
Size: 99.5 KB
ID: 29828 ok, a little background on this truck,, it's a 96 SCSS, paid 900 3 months ago. 116,000 miles.. Engine was hydro locked, 200 bucks and an intake gasket swap, rod and main bearings with new pump, fresh oil and filter and now my daily driver.. L31, 4L60,342 limited slip btw.. After 2 months driving and 2500 miles I'm confident with the engine and transmission, now time to move on..
First order of business was going to be a drop kit , wheels and tires since the body and paint are presentable for its age but a buddy of mine just took over a body shop and wants to paint the truck at cost.. Who am I to argue?? Going to stay with the emerald green just to be different.. I'm working on my pic posting skills on this sight so

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 36

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far I'm leaning towards 3-4.. I don't know if 4-6 is practical for a daily driver.. Any input?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My black '98 was my DD for 4 or 5 years @ 4/6. After it was dropped I learned pretty quick which roads to avoid.
Mostly because of the road's conditions. Pot holes! Forced me to become more aware! But then, I still avoid those roads in the blue `97 @ 2/4! I've never bent a wheel or hit something hard enough that the truck required an alignment.
Some of the larger speed bumps, etc. could be a pain. Gotta watch those blocks in parking lots, too. Hard on valances!
I still used it as a truck, though. Two complete '50's GM interiors in the box is about the most I've had in it. Probably around 800+ lbs. But, I had some helper bags on it back then. I would recommend them on a daily 4/6 that still gets used as a truck.
Other than that, after my experiences with my '97, I would never do a 2/4 again. 2/4 just ain't enough! And...you'll probably get that same story from anyone else that has done 2/4!
If you want the truck to sit level, a 3" dif front-rear is what's needed. 2/5, 3/6 or 4/7. (which is where my '98 is at now)

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Sewlow,, over the next week or so I'm gonna survey the usual roads I drive. Also, so what you are saying is, at 4-6 I'd still have a slight rake? If so that's fine,, I like a subtle rake.

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, I was gonna stay with the original emerald green but my buddy doing the paint suggested that I go with a more modern emerald green,, here's what I picked....
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yup! the Trucks with a 2" dif. front-rear have a bit of a rake. What us old farts used to call 'California Tilt'. Lol!
Like the new color! Should look great!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with Al. Ive had 2 trucks now that I daily drove (and worked hard) for years that were 4/6 or lower. I also had one at 2/4 and I hated it. It wasnt lower enough to look right and it was lower than stock so it looked wimpy. With a 4/6, youre still dealing with the stock suspension so your load carrying capability is still there. Plus they handle soooo much better.

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol.. Sounds like you 2 aren't going allow me to do a 3-4!! Ok.. Let's say I did pull the trigger and go 4-6..what's the best way to go front suspension wise..springs and spindles or lower control arms and springs?