my 1994 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Por15 inside the framerail, and my epoxy primer over the top of that, and weld thru primer on the flanges. This is ready to weld up tomorrow.

I hope that those of you that are reading this thread get some some good ideas on fabricating repair pieces you may need, or even make brackets and parts for a modification.

You must be registered for see images attach

You have some serious fab skills. Thanks for sharing.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got lucky and payed $300 for this poor butchered up roller 69 barracuda. I am a professional tin bender in the airline industry. I guess I can say I am a professional in that regard because they pay me to do that lol. Most of the structural metal and floor sheetmetal is the same as a 67-76 Dodge Dart, and they made millions of them. What's unique is the exterior body panels. That's where a 67-69 barracuda gets expensive. Clean rust free dent free steel front fenders for 67-69 barracudas fetch $1000 a side. NOS easy $1500 each. Stinger makes fiberglass copies but they fit like crap. I got lucky that a local guy sold me all his 69 barracuda stuff including the fenders for $800 to empty a storage shed. I didnt hesitate.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I got lucky and payed $300 for this poor butchered up roller 69 barracuda. I am a professional tin bender in the airline industry. I guess I can say I am a professional in that regard because they pay me to do that lol. Most of the structural metal and floor sheetmetal is the same as a 67-76 Dodge Dart, and they made millions of them. What's unique is the exterior body panels. That's where a 67-69 barracuda gets expensive. Clean rust free dent free steel front fenders for 67-69 barracudas fetch $1000 a side. NOS easy $1500 each. Stinger makes fiberglass copies but they fit like crap. I got lucky that a local guy sold me all his 69 barracuda stuff including the fenders for $800 to empty a storage shed. I didnt hesitate.
Yup, you have to jump on those good deals when you find them. You have fabricating skills with metal I would love to have! I have scratch built stuff on model cars and trucks, but plastic is easy as long as you have the right kind of glue LOL

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Model cars is how I started lol. It sure is easier doing an axle shortening, spring relocation and a minitub on a 1/24 scale model. The irony of this statement after having taken my exacto knife sheet styrene, plastiweld and modified countless model kits in this fashion into drag cars, is I get to unmodify a real drag car, with real sheetmetal, a real welder, real cut off wheels. Lol. Good lord growing up I had shelves full of models. Then I had boxes of cast offs. It was my salvage yard. I loved those 3 in 1 kits. Always extra spare parts to customize other stuff. Sometimes I'd take something from the junkyard and rebuild it. Ironically my favorites were the JoHan models. They modelled weird **** that nobody else did. I mean their mopar stuff was great. I built a 68 chrysler 300 with long horn crossram. A 68 fury cop car. It came with goodies and decals for 4 different police departments. I built LAPD. They had a cadillac hearse. Build stock or as a surf wagon, and a Cadillac ambulance lol.

The best was the 38 chevy panel truck that rolled off my shelf, crashed and burned. I redid the body with automotive enamel metallic brown, put a cloth interior in it, true wire wheels on it with a corvette dash and front suspension. Had a transaxle out of a pantera kit, and a 427 rat dual quad big block. Extended the headers out the rear bumper. Made this thing a mid engine. Rear panel truck door opened so you could see big chubby in all his glory inside the truck. I made the dash light up and made an overhead console with lights. Wired it with a AAA battery mounted in the front mount gas tank. I still have this one. Its wrapped up in tissue and stored away.

I got a coupon from hobby lobby and bought an AMT camaro model reissue kit recently. This was the same kit I built over 35 years ago and kit bashed into a Grumpy Jenkins clone to go with a Sox & Martin 71 Cuda pro stock model I had. I was going to build this new one for my wife who loves 69 camaros. And I mean who doesnt. It's a ******* iconic car. Especially the RS/SS. In the new reissue kit, everything was the same, but the plastic wasnt. It's different, feels weaker than the old plastic I used to work with back then. Thought it was a fluke. Bought a reissue of an old Monogram/Revell 66 Shelby GT350-H model. Same thing. Plastic just felt weak and not as substantial compared to the old days. I guess ya cant go back.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Model cars is how I started lol. It sure is easier doing an axle shortening, spring relocation and a minitub on a 1/24 scale model. The irony of this statement after having taken my exacto knife sheet styrene, plastiweld and modified countless model kits in this fashion into drag cars, is I get to unmodify a real drag car, with real sheetmetal, a real welder, real cut off wheels. Lol. Good lord growing up I had shelves full of models. Then I had boxes of cast offs. It was my salvage yard. I loved those 3 in 1 kits. Always extra spare parts to customize other stuff. Sometimes I'd take something from the junkyard and rebuild it. Ironically my favorites were the JoHan models. They modelled weird **** that nobody else did. I mean their mopar stuff was great. I built a 68 chrysler 300 with long horn crossram. A 68 fury cop car. It came with goodies and decals for 4 different police departments. I built LAPD. They had a cadillac hearse. Build stock or as a surf wagon, and a Cadillac ambulance lol.

The best was the 38 chevy panel truck that rolled off my shelf, crashed and burned. I redid the body with automotive enamel metallic brown, put a cloth interior in it, true wire wheels on it with a corvette dash and front suspension. Had a transaxle out of a pantera kit, and a 427 rat dual quad big block. Extended the headers out the rear bumper. Made this thing a mid engine. Rear panel truck door opened so you could see big chubby in all his glory inside the truck. I made the dash light up and made an overhead console with lights. Wired it with a AAA battery mounted in the front mount gas tank. I still have this one. Its wrapped up in tissue and stored away.

I got a coupon from hobby lobby and bought an AMT camaro model reissue kit recently. This was the same kit I built over 35 years ago and kit bashed into a Grumpy Jenkins clone to go with a Sox & Martin 71 Cuda pro stock model I had. I was going to build this new one for my wife who loves 69 camaros. And I mean who doesnt. It's a ******* iconic car. Especially the RS/SS. In the new reissue kit, everything was the same, but the plastic wasnt. It's different, feels weaker than the old plastic I used to work with back then. Thought it was a fluke. Bought a reissue of an old Monogram/Revell 66 Shelby GT350-H model. Same thing. Plastic just felt weak and not as substantial compared to the old days. I guess ya cant go back.
The plastic in the vintage kits was heavier. Back when oil was cheap, since that's what plastic is made from....I have been a member of a model car club in Houston for most of my adult life. Built them in junior high and high school, afterwards, up until the last 4 or 5 years. Too busy fixing the big trucks lately LOL. I remember the jo han kits,and the detailed instruction books in the old Revell kits that gave you description of each part. Lots of my friends learned how cars are put together and how they work from those instructions!

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lightest and stiffest A body barracuda out there is a notchback sport coupe. Hey TacosnBeer , that's one good looking car. I think of em as mini road runners. Well I'm finally done with the framerail. Its welded, ground and primered. Theres a saying in my line of work when you fab up replacement parts that look like OEM. "Just like factory". Time for the next job on this thing.

Last edited:

Fordsmakemesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

Heres a pic of my 1994 silverado. I purchased this truck new in 94 with a 350, 5 speed, and 3.55 gears with a positraction center. I wanted a fully loaded truck i could stir my own gears with. As such she also has power windows, locks, cruise control, tilt wheel, and gage cluster with tachometer.

Always the faithful companion, she has seen me through a cross country move to a new job, a marriage, a divorce, a move to a new house, a second marriage. She has never failed to start, and has always done whatever was tasked for her to do. She has lots and lots of memories for me, and is a member of my family. I could never part with her.

She had been through a bad hailstorm, and parked with lots of miles, 4 bald tires, a leaking radiator, broken cruise control, and inoperative A/C. A newborn son and lots of other stuff i needed to spend cash on including an addition to my home meant she had to sit parked by the side of my house.

I have finally started repairing her. Working on sections or systems one at a time. This weekend i swapped out the dried out dash speakers for new pioneer units, installed a new kenwood CD mp3 memory stick player, as the old kenwood with 10 disc changer i put in 21 years ago finally died, changed out a faulty ignition lock cylinder, installed a new cruise control stick, some new brake and clutch pedal pads to replace the high mileage threadbare ones.

The paint is original, and shows good on the sides, the hood and roof that got thrashed from a hailstorm however not so much. I bought a steel goodmark cowl hood for it, and plan on priming, and edging it and putting it on soon, as well as sanding the roof down, using glue tabs to pop out most of the roof dents and repairing that too.

Also gonna hammer out the dents inside the bed smooth enough and get it rhino lined but thats awhile down the road.

Anyhow heres a few pix. One alongside my house, and one in the street after i cleaned her up a bit. After i cleaned up the engine compartment, and one with my little buddy keeping watch over "her truck" as i remove the old cd changer that was under the front seat. She has 13 years of memories of this truck too. My dog Sadie Girl has gone everywhere in this truck. When we go places she doesnt want to get out of the truck now. Just happy to curl up on the passenger side.

Friends meet Betsy !! She will likely be in my life till i die. I have a love of Mopar muscle cars, and a 67 barracuda i am rotisserie restoring, but as a faithful companion she has always been there, always willing to work and play. IMHO she is the best truck i could ever have. Thank you for looking at my thread, and reading our story.

Matt

these are such good trucks and I love your story,I inherited a 1988 c2500 from my Dad a couple years ago and I just had to do something with it and clean it up a little and I love the way a cowl hood looks on these trucks! I'll post a picture of the day I brought it home from my Dads place then a picture of how it is right now.Thank you

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's schweet!!! I love the lowered height, wheels, color. Well everything about it. These trucks are such a good looking design. They prob could have sold them for another 5-6 years and they would have still looked as fresh in the styling department. When chevy came out with the " new" Silverado in 1999 I went to look at it, and honestly was not impressed by its looks. Exterior look of a vehicle means a lot to me. If I cant feel good about how it looks everytime I go to get in it after spending a lot of cash on it, then i dont want it. Out of all the brand new trucks I like the older of the 2 dodge rams they build now. The 1500 classic. Even so, all the wiring, multiplexing, and multiple computers is a complete turn off to me. It's like being with a supermodel that has underlying psychological issues. Nice to be around, but not with her for the long haul. I will just keep my silverado till I die. Good looking, easy to work on, dependable. With a little work and fresh paint one day still cheaper than new. I already have my "classic" dont need a new truck with a $38,000 price tag and a mini mortgage badged as such.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I had a 68 notch with a 440 in it back in the day. I miss that car... the fenderwell headers were the coolest part aside from the mopar interior smell.

And don't forget that distinctive gear reduction starter sound!

First car I ever purchased was an ugly light green 2- door '71 Dodge Polara Brougham. Quickest way to get my hands on a big block MOPAR, Lol! It was rust free and shiny. The old guy I got it from must have appreciated a 16 year old with such car enthusiasm, because he only made me pay $75. He said that the water pump was out. I changed the thermostat in his yard and drove it home!