my 1994 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Snow in West Texas is somewhat of an anomaly unless you live in Lubbock and the Tx / Ok panhandle. This started yesterday with freezing rain, and amped up throughout the day. Son and I took the time out in the shop to finally sort out a big box of hardware and seperate it into different containers. This morning was make a snowman time. Hoping that this snowfall on new years eve washes away 2020.

You must be registered for see images attach

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally got welding done on the bomb proof lower radiator support. I can stand on this thing with my 220 lb fat ass and it doesnt bend. Still a lot more to go, along with a repair on the RH front framerail top cap and addition of weld nuts for the over flow bottle but i'm glad this is done.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago I built a 60 el camino, and before that a 71 C/10. One thing I loved about chevys was the common engine mounting system , common bell housing from straight 6 to V8. It just made engine swaps so simple. Both vehicles had 250 straight 6 engines, and 350s swapped right in.

Mopar junque not so much. The only common item from 6 cylinder through Hemi V8s is the transmission mount. That's it. Slant 6 uses it's own unique trans bellhousing, K frame and mounts. Ditto for small block, and big block, with Hemi sharing a big block bellhousing pattern but requiring it's own unique engine mounts and K frame. All this makes engine swaps a lot harder. Used to be a few companys that made bolt in adaptor kits to swap V8s in place of the 6. With any adaptor kit, theres always shortcomings.

When I got my son's car it came without any front end. This included engine K frame and lower suspension arms. The upper arms and drum brakes were attached and hanging, torsion bars, and complete steering setup were in the trunk. I did a trade and was able to get a 67 K frame and lower suspension arms. Problem was it was a slant 6 K frame, and used a 1 year only idler arm mount. This mount design is weak, and replacement 67 only idler arms are about $150 if you can find them. We are going with a V8. I dont like adaptor kits either. Car is a 69 anyways so I need to mod this thing. Contrary to popular belief most of these older barracudas came with 6 cylinder engines just like dodge darts did. V8 K frames are not super easy to source.

A buddy of mine had a 68-72 V8 K frame he was willing to let me borrow to mod the one I have. What I found out engine wise, is the LH mount is the same as the V8 with slight modification to the front. Only the RH mount needed to be cut off and replaced. I made a jig off his K frame, with heavy gage 2" steel tube, and made templates for building a RH V8 mount to putting it in the correct location. Lopped off the "slant sux" RH mount, ground it all smooth, and installed a RH V8 mount where it's supposed to go.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lopped off the weak ass ******* child 1967 only Idler arm mount, and was able to get a 68-72 idler arm mount from another friend. I cut away the welds, and cleaned it up in the sandblaster , then spot primered it. Locating it correctly with the exact geometry was going to be the issue. I used my friends V8 K frame and some tube spacers I had in the correct size for the bolts I needed to pin this together. Used some scrap steel I keep laying around, and built a jig that bolts in on the steering box mount pad. This runs across to his existing 68-72 idler arm mount. I transferred this homemade jig and cleaned up 68-72 idler arm mount to my 1967 K frame and it fit perfectly. All that's left is to weld the mount in, and unbolt the jig. I may never use this tool I made again, but I have nothing in it but time anyways. Will probably hang it on the wall lol.

Last edited:

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, this car is truly going to be a one of a kind considering all of the modifications and fabrication you have put into it. What kind of a sand blaster do you have?

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, this car is truly going to be a one of a kind considering all of the modifications and fabrication you have put into it. What kind of a sand blaster do you have?

When they get this old and are not quite complete cars to start with, unless it's a rare and valuable version like a formula S 340, 383, or Cuda 440, you make some concessions as far as costs, modifications and modern upgrades since it will be driven.

This car was built as a 318 V8 auto on the floor, with manual drum brakes and manual steering. It had the A01 light group package. AM radio, Vinyl top delete. Appears to have had a dealer installed 340 style stripe at one point. Just a little of it leftover in the door jamb. Probably striped it to move it off the lot when new. Secretarys car is what they called these. I suppose if I was doing a chevelle or a torino I would be doing similar modifications as well.

Last edited:

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When they get this old and are not quite complete cars to start with, unless it's a rare and valuable version like a formula S 340, 383, or Cuda 440, you make some concessions as far as costs, modifications and modern upgrades since it will be driven.

This car was built as a 318 V8 auto on the floor, with manual drum brakes and manual steering. It had the A01 light group package. AM radio, Vinyl top delete. Appears to have had a dealer installed 340 style stripe at one point. Just a little of it leftover in the door jamb. Probably striped it to move it off the lot when new. Secretarys car is what they called these. I suppose if I was doing a chevelle or a torino I would be doing similar modifications as well.
You should look up "black ghost challenger" on YouTube. It's a very rare special ordered triple black, hemi, 4 spd, 1970 dodge challenger r/t se. It's about 35 minutes long, but an entertaining story.