Missing parts/radiator size (She's alive)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate to throw water on the party but note that the OP is in Bakersfield which I believe is in California. Don't they have a requirement that all pollution control equipment, however useless, be on the vehicle at inspection?
Yep, it's against the law to remove anything as far as emission equipment goes. They can tell by the VIN if the truck was sold originally in CA or a state that falls under Federal Standards. If CA, then that smog pump needs to be there as well as the tubes going to the exhaust manifolds.
Here's the driver's side A.I.R. tube and check valve (red arrow). Note: these headers have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) EO (Executive Order), so they're legal pretty much in any state.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the passenger side. Makes it fun getting to header bolts and spark plugs.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep, it's against the law to remove anything as far as emission equipment goes. They can tell by the VIN if the truck was sold originally in CA or a state that falls under Federal Standards. If CA, then that smog pump needs to be there as well as the tubes going to the exhaust manifolds.
Here's the driver's side A.I.R. tube and check valve (red arrow). Note: these headers have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) EO (Executive Order), so they're legal pretty much in any state.

Here's the passenger side. Makes it fun getting to header bolts and spark plugs.
Mmm,yes, that cali location is going to complicate things.....

Sam Cooper

Reaction score
Hey Bigboom997, if you are in CA, like me, BAR will require the pump to be in place and operational to pass smog. I have an 89 big block truck and a 93 big block, of which neither had a smog pump. So I bought two smog pump assemblies to make them legal. The 89 came from Washington, but I now have it at CA smog standards. The 93 is a CA truck but never had a pump, so I now have an extra smog pump. The big block set-up looks to be the same as the small block. If you need one, contact me and I will sell the spare to you for what I have into it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's hard to remember exactly how everything goes back together. Even when I take lots of pictures, sometimes the angle isn't right to see some details.....working on cars and trucks is supposed to be kinda fun, but it can get frustrating.
Yeah, when we'd have someone bring in their engine inside 4 totes, we called that a basket of worms, ha ha. A lot of times the parts would be off of 2 different engines too.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nothing goes there. Its the location for a smog pump AIR system. The radiator is a standard size. The difference is between the coolers. Some have a oil and trans cooler.

my 1989 gmc didn’t have a smog pump either. It depends on the year but not all GMTs cane with smog pumps. Mine is a california model and I never had a issue doing a smog

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was under the impression CA can't require you to add emissions equipment when the vehicle came from the factory without them, only if they've been removed. But I may be wrong.

no they dont make you add equipment. Say your car came with no AIR system they can’t make you add it. You do however need to have the correct smog equipment for whatever year your car smog system came with from the factory. And if you break a Cat Con you need a soecufuc one that has a CARB EO number. And those cats run twice the cost of a nonapproved cat con. A no approved cat will cause a fail even if you pass the machine test you fail visual.

Bigboom997

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the information and help along the way. Sorry I can't reply to everyone, there's a lot of you guys hahaha. I'm starting to get parts. Tomorrow I'll have almost everything I need. Just waiting on the fan shroud in the mail. I'm double checking everything as well to make sure I don't miss something outside of what I'm already fixing. I'll be updating you guys as I go. New fluids and all. Cheers!

Armalite15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can give you an aftermarket radiator part number if you want. Need engine size, year model, and C/K designation and with or without automatic transmission cooler and with or without engine oil cooler. Even then about 87% chance there will be multiple choice on core widths.

Bigboom997

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can give you an aftermarket radiator part number if you want. Need engine size, year model, and C/K designation and with or without automatic transmission cooler and with or without engine oil cooler. Even then about 87% chance there will be multiple choice on core widths.
I got one yesterday (b622 at AutoZone) and installed it today. Thanks tho