Megasquirt fuel injection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has installed the megasquirt fuel injection on their truck? I am planning on doing this and was looking for some tips or helpful advice to make thing easier.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a proponent of the factory system on these trucks, but they've been hacked to the point that you can do everything a Megasquirt can do and more. I think it comes down to how much you're willing to invest and your plans for future vehicles. Getting into DIY tuning with either system is going to cost you about $400.

There's no real reason for buying into a Megasquirt - if you're planning on sticking with these trucks. If you play with a lot of different brands, the Megasquirt is the most mobile.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Megasquirt is fantastic for boosted race engines where you spend hundreds or thousands of hours data logging and fine tuning every aspect of the engine to perform exactly how you need it to for a very specific application.

Megasquirt is terrible for a daily driver.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A guy on an MB forum converted from D Jetronic to MegaSquirt as he'd had this on a previous Citroen SM and didn't want the unreliability of the D Jetronic system.
Worked out OK after some dyno work but took a lot of time to get lesser things right. Idling and the cold fuel enrichment and subsequent lean-off took time to get right IIRC. I seem to recall him saying there wasn't much support from MS for what he was doing - possibly because it was a six cylinder engine not the the usual four.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have the megasquirt II kit assembled and bench tested. The engine that I am putting in my truck will have a carburetor on it until it is broken in and I know that the engine will run ok. I don't want to start with an experimental system and have too many unknown variables from the start. I guess I will start with the sensors that came with my 92 k1500.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you just want to go from a carb to FI, I would recommend a stand-alone EFI kit. There are quite a few options now... FiTech, Edlebrock, Holley, etc

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you just want to go from a carb to FI, I would recommend a stand-alone EFI kit. There are quite a few options now... FiTech, Edlebrock, Holley, etc

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I already have the megasquirt II and assembled it. I did some bench testing with it with a spare tbi unit and spare sensors. It seems like it should work ok. The truck barely gets driven. It is more of a toy than anything else.