Massive oil leak sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one way to tell if your crankcase pressure is getting too high, your dipstick may be popped out of the tube. take the oil filler cap off at idle,, is it blowing alot of pressure out of there?

It helps to have the fan off/removed when doing that. I suppose even having the truck warmed up, so the fan wasn't so positively engaged would help. It's like feeling for a light breeze in the middle of a tornado otherwise. The oil fill on the big block is right up front, so maybe it's not as bad with the small block that has the oil fill on the valve cover.

Something else I've done, is use a piece of toilet paper to gauge the air coming from the oil filler.... did that with the Saturn, which blows more air than the heater.
At idle or fast idle, ANY air coming OUT of the crankcase vent system is too much.

Shove a finger into the valve-cover-to-air-cleaner PCV vent hose, and you should feel increasing vacuum as the PCV valve draws air out of the crankcase that's not being replaced by air passing from air cleaner to valve cover ('cause you're blocking that hose with your finger.)

If you don't have VACUUM, you have excess blow-by, or you have a defective PCV system. When you pull your finger back out of the hose, you should hear the air whooshing into the engine to relieve the vacuum created by the PCV system.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a saturn sl2 and it would do strange things. one time I was working on it, and the engine was off and the key was set in the run position.. when I put the battery cable back on, the friggin motor would crank over and START.. I told my neigbor abt this, and he said NO WAY this can happen,, until he saw it himself.. hated that ,little car, had to ride with head sideways because it would put dents in the roof on the bumpy roads.
well built little cars if u can fit in one, and it doesnt start when you disconnect and re connect the battery cable without turning the key to START.