Teal daily driven farm truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blakes are bred, still about 27 inches of pedal travel though. I guess that’s just how it is :shrug:

You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scan tool ran flawless, was able to run the automated bleed procedure. Following the Kelsey-Hayes reference card, the brakes got bled a total of 4 times. Almost 2 quarts of fluid.

As you can see by the date on the box, I’ve had these Russel brake lines for a little while. The rear hose got replaced when I swapped the rear axle in 2018…

I use the one man bleeding procedure when I can’t use my pressure bleeder.
/Hose in a bottle with the end submerged in fluid, crack the bleeder and slowly pump until there’s no more air. /

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The F is up with ****** brakes on these things and poor pedal feel? Back in the day they weren’t this bad. Even throwing new stuff on they still end up sucking.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they good now?
No
The F is up with ****** brakes on these things and poor pedal feel? Back in the day they weren’t this bad. Even throwing new stuff on they still end up sucking.
Idk, I’m going to have to bleed them again. I think the travel is worse than it was before.

That nasty fluid might be a sign, that was the end of the second quart going through the system.

Something I noticed while bleeding, the first few inches (close to 5”) of travel won’t move any fluid. The fluid going to the fronts will move before the rears (I’m assuming that’s normal).

I have a NOS Raybestos master cylinder that I bought at the same time as the brake hoses. I guess I could put that on.

The truck stops fine, I don’t feel like they’re going to give out, but the amount of pedal travel is not confidence inspiring.

Actually, thinking out loud, that nasty brake fluid is probably a clear indicator that they aren’t bled enough. I bet if I keep going until there’s clean fluid at all 4 corners the brakes would improve. 2 quarts is a lot of fluid but maybe the ABS module just holds a bunch of it. Maybe cycling the ABS twice per bleed would help.

I know it’s advised against, but maybe the pressure bleeder would help. It will at least hold 2 gallons of fluid that I don’t have to constantly top off.