Manual shifting your auto for engine braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used downshifting when towing forEVER. Have never had a trans go out on me, including my old Jeep with 4.0 and 42RE, and my S10 Blazer with 700R4.....both of those transmissions people are always whining about NEVER gave me any issues. I do it now towing with our Nissan Xterra. Now, when NOT towing and I need to stop quicker I pop it in Neutral.
I downshifted both 5spd Auto Titans (2012 SV Sport 2wd and a 2014 Pro4-x) I owned at 100+ mph on the top-end of the 1/4 mile and at highway speeds with and without trailers. I also downshift the 2011 Pathfinder as well, usually when towing. All 3 were console shift so it made it less awkward than the tap shift column shift. I also downshifted my 2011 M56S with the paddle or console shifters regularly. I also downshift my 2007 G35 sedan with the console shifter in manual mode.

I will not hesitate to pull the Express van shifter into 1st at 80 mph for more braking as needed. The 4L85E in it will only downshift when it is below the rev-limit in the next lower gear. Coming off a short, downhill ramp at speed, I will downshift and then use the brakes if I need additional braking, but the engine braking alone does a pretty good job of slowing the thing down.

Reaction score
Little late to the party…. I downshift manually all the time in my 99 Tahoe.
1) brakes are not that great. 2) I have silver wheels and like to keep them as brake dust free as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 3

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I downshift manually all the time in my 99 Tahoe.
1) brakes are not that great. 2) I have silver wheels and like to keep them as brake dust free as possible.
1. Fix the brakes. Wash the wheels now and then.

2. Replacement brakes are enormously less expensive than replacement transmissions.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
brakes are easy to upgrade or replace, trans are not.
One slip to the wrong gear can magnify the strain.
scary of people texting and downshifting all the time.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The newer computer controlled transmissions cannot be hurt by downshifting. Move the shifter into first at 100 mph, it will not be downshifting the vehicle slows enough to make the downshift safely. I still downshift on a regular basis when I want to supplement the brakes or hold the vehicle back downhill without using the brakes.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brakes are easy to upgrade or replace, trans are not.
One slip to the wrong gear can magnify the strain.
scary of people texting and downshifting all the time.
That is the downside to the column shifter, where as a floor shifter like I have only allows you to shift one stage at a time.