Park not working, hard to shift into manual 1/2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pjhanlo

Reaction score
Hey guys. Recently rebuilt my 4l60e.
1993 c1500 5.7l

Everything else works. I have reverse, drive, car drives great.

But recently noticed on a slope that in park the car will still roll. You can hear clicking as it rolls. It sounds like the lever is trying to engage.

I’ve also noticed that it’s VERY difficult to shift into manual 1 and 2.

More than likely the shift linkage needs replaced? Or does anyone else have any ideas.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Recently rebuilt my 4l60e.
1993 c1500 5.7l

Everything else works. I have reverse, drive, car drives great.

But recently noticed on a slope that in park the car will still roll. You can hear clicking as it rolls. It sounds like the lever is trying to engage.

I’ve also noticed that it’s VERY difficult to shift into manual 1 and 2.

More than likely the shift linkage needs replaced? Or does anyone else have any ideas.

Any issues when the vehicle is on a level grade or only on a slope? If only on a slope then this is mostly normal.

If having issues at all times, drop the pan and check your selector shaft, rooster comb, detent roller and make sure that selector shaft-rooster comb nut on the inside of the trans has not come loose...Having the vehicle roll a bit before fully engaging into 'Park' is somewhat normal but if it's taking more than a couple seconds or so (i.e. one-onethousand, two-onethousand) then something may be wrong...Also, don't let the parking pawl engage the lugs on the rear ring gear via the full weight of the vehicle as the pawl won't last (Ive rebuild a few where the pawl was broken in half because people weren't pumping the brakes on slopes and repeatedly allowing the full weight of the truck to slam the pawl).

You should not be having issues selecting other ranges unless on a slope.

Parking linkage parts are available everywhere and are the same for all years 4L60E except for the shaft which is longer starting in 1996 (MLPS).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The linkage is adjustable on the 1994 and older trucks, but if it was working properly before the transmission was R&R'd - it shouldn't need adjustment. I'd be looking at where it pivots in the frame - there's a bushing, a spring, etc. be sure it all is seated correctly and nothing down there is interfering with its movement.

Richard

Pjhanlo

Reaction score
Any issues when the vehicle is on a level grade or only on a slope? If only on a slope then this is mostly normal.

If having issues at all times, drop the pan and check your selector shaft, rooster comb, detent roller and make sure that selector shaft-rooster comb nut on the inside of the trans has not come loose...Having the vehicle roll a bit before fully engaging into 'Park' is somewhat normal but if it's taking more than a couple seconds or so (i.e. one-onethousand, two-onethousand) then something may be wrong...Also, don't let the parking pawl engage the lugs on the rear ring gear via the full weight of the vehicle as the pawl won't last (Ive rebuild a few where the pawl was broken in half because people weren't pumping the brakes on slopes and repeatedly allowing the full weight of the truck to slam the pawl).

You should not be having issues selecting other ranges unless on a slope.

Parking linkage parts are available everywhere and are the same for all years 4L60E except for the shaft which is longer starting in 1996 (MLPS).

Gonna drop the pan next week and I’ll report back, linkage seems fine? I tried reseating it.

Maybe during my rebuild I didn’t tighten that nut correctly.

I’ll update

Pjhanlo

Reaction score
nut is definitely tightened all the way.

Linkage is fine I shifted through all the gears. But it’s still rolling and clicking in park. Any other ideas?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nut is definitely tightened all the way.

Linkage is fine I shifted through all the gears. But it’s still rolling and clicking in park. Any other ideas?
Did you not test the mechanism while it was on the bench during your rebuild? Refer to the ATSG manual for a diagram and confirm your parking pawl guide plate installed correctly. Inspect the pawl itself to make sure its not broken. Its a simple deal; there's only so many things it can be...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You could always take the linkage out of the picture temporarily to see if the problem is internal or external. Remove linkage, shift transmission into park, see if it still rolls/clicks. Obviously take precautions you don't run over yourself or into anything..

Richard

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tranny shifter cable has worn thru it's sheath? manual 1-2 and Park are at opposite extremes of travel, it bows out on the push (P) and can't get fully reseated on the pull (1-2)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Tranny shifter cable has worn thru it's sheath? manual 1-2 and Park are at opposite extremes of travel, it bows out on the push (P) and can't get fully reseated on the pull (1-2)
Mechanical/rod style linkage 88-94, not a cable like 95-up.

Richard