Make a 4l60e TCC stay locked until braking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All 4L80Es unlock when you lift. You need a custom tune from a guy who knows how to make .cax files in EFILive. Or use HPT like a pleeb. :lol:

It isn't noticeable on my 3/4 ton (4l80e), but is real noticeable on the s10 (4l60e) for some reason. Both blackbear tuned with black boxes.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You motivated me to take a look and see what can be tweaked with JET's DST.

Here's a list of the tables applicable to the transmission tuning for my 1998 K1500 L31 (see the long window sort-of centered in the attached image). I suspect the 1998 S10 would have similar parameters.

If one or more of the tables from that list piques your interest, ask and I will post an image(s) of the table(s).

Two of the tables from that list happen to be open on the right-hand side of the attached image, and their names are visible (poorly, in gray) on the top of each of their windows, respectively.

I've also attached a complete list of all the tables for the vehicle, as a text file. It's readable, but not particularly pretty. Open it in a text editor (Wordpad, Notepad, emacs, vi, ...) and widen the page so there's no line wrapping. What's shown is the baseline (from the factory) tuning for my Sub. It's actually quite interesting.
Wow - thanks for posting that! I don't know if I am (currently) smart enough to use it, but I might get there in the future.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can find a truck with the same OS as your truck substitute, you could do a simple transmission segment swap in EFILive. Have you asked Justin at Blackbear? He knows how to do everything I just mentioned and uses EFILive.
This is a blackbear (just to be sure we are on the same page) tuned ecm. I sent the ecm back to them, asking them to make this happen with the tune, but what they did didn't make it stay locked. I sent them an email a while back, telling them that it didn't work, and never heard back..

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is a blackbear (just to be sure we are on the same page) tuned ecm. I sent the ecm back to them, asking them to make this happen with the tune, but what they did didn't make it stay locked. I sent them an email a while back, telling them that it didn't work, and never heard back..

Weird. I got my first 411 from Justin at Blackbear. He hooked it up with COS5 and everything. He doesn't have the parameters available to him and would have to find an operating system same as yours to steal.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the email that I had sent. Maybe I worded it in a way where I came off as a ********? I tend to do that without having a clue that I am...

"Hello,

I had sent my tuned ecm there for some changes.

I've attached the form that I sent with the ecm. I had asked for:

- The TCC to only lock at 45 + mph
This seems to have worked, as far as I can tell.

- Make it not shift to OD until 50 + mph
This seems to have worked during acceleration, but it will shift to OD when off the throttle/light throttle in town at 30ish mph

-Make the TCC stay locked once it locks, unless braking or shifting
This didn't work, as it still unlocks each time that I let off the throttle and then re-apply throttle.

I don't know how the tuning works - am I asking for things that can't be had? Can you make specific mph changes, or do you just have to guess at a parameter change, and hope that it gets me what I want? I ask because I don't want to keep wasting the $40 to ship this back and forth, or the time required.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,"