Make a 4l60e TCC stay locked until braking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my '98 s10 (4.3 v6, daily driver) I am wondering if it is possible to program the TCC to stay locked (once locked) until you hit the brakes?

I had BB try to make this happen on the tuned ecm, but the TCC still unlocks when letting off the throttle, then locks again once on the throttle. It is much better than stock was, but still irritating.

I also drive a van at work that has the 4.3/4l60e and it does the same thing, but much worse than my s10.

I have never had/driven anything with a 4l60e that didn't irritate me. Hard to tolerate them after driving decent 4l80e equipped vehicles, but it would be better if there is a way to keep the TCC locked...

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a parameter of a truck os. Seem like only car base os have ability to stay locked with 0 throttle.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
w/o tuning it no there is no way to make it behave like that. you might be able to have a local tuner look at the parameters for that and see about changing them. They may have to do a street tune aka driving tune to figure out if it is able to be done.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You motivated me to take a look and see what can be tweaked with JET's DST.

Here's a list of the tables applicable to the transmission tuning for my 1998 K1500 L31 (see the long window sort-of centered in the attached image). I suspect the 1998 S10 would have similar parameters.

If one or more of the tables from that list piques your interest, ask and I will post an image(s) of the table(s).

Two of the tables from that list happen to be open on the right-hand side of the attached image, and their names are visible (poorly, in gray) on the top of each of their windows, respectively.

I've also attached a complete list of all the tables for the vehicle, as a text file. It's readable, but not particularly pretty. Open it in a text editor (Wordpad, Notepad, emacs, vi, ...) and widen the page so there's no line wrapping. What's shown is the baseline (from the factory) tuning for my Sub. It's actually quite interesting.

Attachments

• JET transmission tables by name.jpg
    JET transmission tables by name.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 23
  • All tables and parameters in text file.txt
    139.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
HPT can do it with a 411. Orrr use EFILive to steal a transmission segment from a full size truck in a BB/411?

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a parameter of a truck os. Seem like only car base os have ability to stay locked with 0 throttle.
I had a toggle switch hooked up to lock it, and that worked great, it was just a pain to remember to unlock it when stopping.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a toggle switch hooked up to lock it, and that worked great, it was just a pain to remember to unlock it when stopping.
Not sure on 4l60e, but on 4l80e it goes through 1st gear safety interlock on tcc. Not too bad if forget to unlock. I used to force lock tcc on the highway with 91 v2500 burb as stock ecu was very primitive

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
w/o tuning it no there is no way to make it behave like that. you might be able to have a local tuner look at the parameters for that and see about changing them. They may have to do a street tune aka driving tune to figure out if it is able to be done.

This is a blackbear (just to be sure we are on the same page) tuned ecm. I sent the ecm back to them, asking them to make this happen with the tune, but what they did didn't make it stay locked. I sent them an email a while back, telling them that it didn't work, and never heard back...