Lunati Voodoo cam for a 4.3L V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Dub

Underdog Performance
Reaction score
I'm picking up a 96 RCSB on Saturday and plan on keeping the V6 for a while. I have a buddy who does great motor work that is going to do a checkup, install the kit and do a tune when I'm ready. I plan on doing some intake, headers and full exhaust to give it some more pep.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with it before. Looks to be well worth the money.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2366&gid=297

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I don't know anything about that exact cam, but I've have heard awesome things about all the Lunati Voodoo cams. Great lobe profile to get maximum area under the curve!

J-Dub

Underdog Performance
Reaction score
That's what I've heard also. Judging by the specs (and I don't know a ton) it seems like it will have a pretty nasty idle which is more of what I'm looking for

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Cool, just beware that if a cam produces a choppy idle then it usually means that is also moves the powerband higher in the rpm range. You may lose quite a bit of low end torque unless you replace the torque converter with a higher stall unit

J-Dub

Underdog Performance
Reaction score
So what to do since it's a 5-speed? The cam specs say it should work fine with a stock converter.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Well if it's a 5-speed you should be fine, especially if the specs say it will work with the stock converter. Manuals can adapt to changes better because you're left foot is basically the torque converter when you're taking off...

J-Dub

Underdog Performance
Reaction score
Thats what I thought but I've never messed with converters so I'd rather be safe than waste the money. Thanks for the help man.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Auto's need more duration. For example. SBC, old school, non-roller cam, hydraulic lifter, stick shift, = 290 degrees.
or, everything the same except for an automatic would = 310 degrees of duration. The auto's need the vacuum created by the extended duration. That vacuum is also needed to run things like your power brake booster. Unless you use hydro-boost.
For a roller cam, same principal, different numbers. But you get the idea.
V6 is a chopped down 5.7. In theory, whatever works for big bro should work for the little guy.