Lpoking for some help with a paint screwup...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regal_Six

Reaction score
Yeah I'd lie to get a spray gun setup. But like I mentioned, this was intended to be a good temporary fix to keep the rust at bay for a few years. Besides the rust - the clear on the tailgate is going and the overall paint on the body is uneven, swirled, scratched, and dented to hell as well as a few panels being out of alignment. I have every intention to do a proper full body respray / restore but am in no position to make it happen right now.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Try the ospho, it works. Just rattle can it, if thats all you can do. I had mine repainted in 2013. It still looks amazing. I did a very cheap paint job, that I take very good care of. I have been puting my truck in a local car show. It gets attention. There is a lot of love out there for these trucks.

Regal_Six

Reaction score
Try the ospho, it works. Just rattle can it, if thats all you can do. I had mine repainted in 2013. It still looks amazing. I did a very cheap paint job, that I take very good care of. I have been puting my truck in a local car show. It gets attention. There is a lot of love out there for these trucks.

Your truck sure looks clean. For some reason there's hardly any 400s in my area. I helped run a car show this summer at a local club, probably got 120-130 cars, including about 20 trucks and only 1 400. A late 90s sierra that was ratted out. Frame work and suspension was nicely done, but a rat none the less. Even with my little rust spots starting and my garbage paint I probably have the cleanest 400 in my county - from what I've seen anyways.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was IDK about 150 cars and trucks in that show and 4 GMT 400 including mine. Thanks for the comp. As you can tell, I do have a lot of work in mine. A lot of little things that unless you or have had a 400 you wouldnt know about. 120 speedo cluster, e fans, 4 corner front marker lights, 4 high head light mod, blue tooth stereo, viper alarm, and the list goes on, and on. It makes a nice driver.

Regal_Six

Reaction score
There was IDK about 150 cars and trucks in that show and 4 GMT 400 including mine. Thanks for the comp. As you can tell, I do have a lot of work in mine. A lot of little things that unless you or have had a 400 you wouldnt know about. 120 speedo cluster, e fans, 4 corner front marker lights, 4 high head light mod, blue tooth stereo, viper alarm, and the list goes on, and on. It makes a nice driver.

I didn't even notice in the picture, but that 4 corner marker light mod looks interesting. Is there a write up you used or did you figure that out yourself?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a write up on here somewhere about it. I used 2 lower markers, and cut the bulb holders out of them, then cut a hole in the upper light backs to accept the bulb socket holders. I used epoxy to attack the sockets I let it sit overnight to harden, and installed ot the next day. Its tight to get the bulb socket around the headlight. I think they make a socket that is flat, but I just used the one I got the donner lower lights from.