Low voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You can get it tested at most any auto parts store. For free...

Can test it with a voltmeter as well. With all still hooked up. Start it and test the reading with a multi meter. At the back of the alternater and at the battery. Should be showing roughly 14.4ish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
This is the proper way to do the job. Removing the battery cable is not, I admit. But like I said, I have dont it for years. Never had an issue doing that. I have even had the alt stick on full charge, frying the fuseible link, ( this is on the wire that charges the battery) and melting the aluminum cooling tube it was laying on. So the alt shorted directly to ground at full charge, and even this had no effect on the ECM. Maybe I was lucky IDK.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, I tried to start the truck today to get the battery\alternator tested and it won't start, tried to jump it and after charging for 10 mins won't even crank anymore. What could the problem be?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So, I tried to start the truck today to get the battery\alternator tested and it won't start, tried to jump it and after charging for 10 mins won't even crank anymore. What could the problem be?

Never mind lol started right after I sent this idk what changed

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can get a multimeter at a big box store for $10, use that to check your battery voltage and the alternator output. It can also be used to check the battery cable voltage drop.

Let us know if you need a walk-through on it.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the voltage drop, I mean you can see if you have an issue with the positive cable. If it wouldn’t even crank, that would be something to look at.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't buy a reman. Ask for a new alt. It will cast a little more, but is well wort it.

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are your battery cables, ground straps and alternator charging wire? If there are any corroded terminals that could contribute to the irratic starting/charging issues. If you have any more problems, or kill that alternator quickly, I’d check those next. A big 3 upgrade may help you out. If it appears so, let me offer my services, have kits ready to go...
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/big-3-and-dual-battery-kits.41818/

Reaction score
Grounds, charging wire, ect looked good I bought a reman because its all they had in stock and with a lifetime warranty you cant go wrong

Reaction score
Update: Turns out you can go wrong, got the wrong alternator and the store closed[emoji23] looks like this is my new ride for the time being
You must be registered for see images attach