Low beams suck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know there's plenty of chat about headlights and 4hi mods and whatever else but I couldn't find the problem I'm having.

My low beams suck, tried a few different kinds of bulbs and nothing seems any better. My high beams seem fine, just as bright as any other GMT400's with stock lights but my low beams suck, when I put my blinkers on its brighter then my headlights! Any help would be appreciated, electrical is not one of my strong suites, probably my weakest!

96 ECSB, 5.7, auto, 190k has all options that were available then as far as I know

Thanks in advance!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
If you factory headlights are all fogged/hazed over like what happens to most of them over the years that could be part of your problem. There are ways to restore/clean them but I've never used them so I can't comment on how well they work.

My '98 that I just picked up has the same "turnsignal brighter than headlights" issue you mentioned. My lenses are completely hazed over. New lenses, HID's, and a heavy duty harness with 4-HI is on the top of my mod list. I drive a lot of dark country roads and it gets scary sometimes not being able to see.

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There hazed some, not as bad as my last 400 and there not nearly as bright, also confused because the high beams seem unaffected, I've had one other 400 and rode in countless others and all there low beams are much brighter then mine, even my bothers which are badly hazed. Is there a difference in years? This is the oldest 400 I've owned or am familiar with and has the worst low beams I've ever seen. New headlight housings are my first to do when I get a lil extra jingle in the pocket

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
There hazed some, not as bad as my last 400 and there not nearly as bright, also confused because the high beams seem unaffected, I've had one other 400 and rode in countless others and all there low beams are much brighter then mine, even my bothers which are badly hazed. Is there a difference in years? This is the oldest 400 I've owned or am familiar with and has the worst low beams I've ever seen. New headlight housings are my first to do when I get a lil extra jingle in the pocket

You can get factory TYC replacements from rockauto.com for $25 each.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Have you aimed them?

TwoPedal98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
buy the relay kit that wires your high beams and low beams together, then drive around with your high and low beams on.
problem solved =)

Maybe I miss understood the 4 high mod but I already get flashed with only my high beams on never mind both high and low?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There aimed good enough to pass state inspection!

That doesn't really mean anything... Aim will affect your low beams a lot more than the high's just like you're describing. It doesn't take much for it to be off (Full vs. empty tank of gas is noticeable)

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The headlight restore stuff works fine, way cheaper to get some wet/dry sandpaper. 800/1000/2000 grit and some soapy water, finish off with rubbing compound and throw some wax on it from time to time. However, this does nothing if its hazy on the inside.

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy some good aftermarket replacements.