Looking to replace fuel pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 Sierra 5.7l and I'm looking to replace the fuel pump. Any suggestions on what to look for, brand of pump, or any good advice? Thanks
Dan

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well since I did it 4 times now!! the best advice I could give ya is have the tank empty if your going to drop the tank or have a freind help lift off the bed after TRYING to remove the bed bolts or,,,,,,,measure where it is and cut the bed above the tank and put a hinge opening cause this wont be the last time your going to have to change it. Best place to get the pump was from Nappa they seem to have good quality pumps. Another thing is if the tank is original to the truck you might want to replace it due to what I found out is a dirty GM secrete. The tanks have a thin lining in the tank that breaks down with the mix seasonal gasses and that clogs the screen on the pump killing it. Since I have changed both of mine its lasting 4years now but mine just died today BUT need to figure for sure, I have my doubts it died and its somthing else.Good luck!!

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well this will be the first time for me. Truck is 14 years old. I just turned 100,000 and it seems like its losing pressure at times. What is the reason for removing the bed? I was going to drop the tank. Do I can get a good look at the inside of the tank. Do you know who makes the napa brand pumps?

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Napa has a couple different ones. Make sure you buy the Delphi pump or you will be replacing it again soon.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason to remove the bed is to overview the entire area plus be able to remove the pump straight out. Check the Nappa web site for details on the pump just leaving work now so I will check when I get home..

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Wherever you get the new pump from, try to get a factory original pump. They're the best you can get.

As far as taking the bed off, its a lot easier and safer then trying to drop the tank.

In theory its just 8 bolts and boom the bed is off. But its not always that easy with a vehicle over a decade old. But even then, if the bed bolts are giving you hell then the tank bolts are going to also. Not to mention you have to remove all the lines to the tank and what not.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I cut an access door in the bed. Pump change takes ten min. So far the bad tank theory sounds best, cause even delphi pumps don't seem to last long. IDK. I see alot of pump changes goin on. Delphi or otherwise.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cut an access door in the bed. Pump change takes ten min. So far the bad tank theory sounds best, cause even delphi pumps don't seem to last long. IDK. I see alot of pump changes goin on. Delphi or otherwise.

This to me is the best way IMO for a quick replacement with one person, but your going to be cutting the bed and thats up to you!

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
This to me is the best way IMO for a quick replacement with one person, but your going to be cutting the bed and thats up to you!

True. My truck is a beater for work/play. So the appearance wasn't a main concern. Even so it can be done well so that it looks good.