Looking to replace fuel pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BadBowtie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking about cutting mine, I have a toolbox that sits off the floor so I could just do this and slide the toolbox back when I need to. I have a new Delphi pump sitting in my living room. I suppose if you cut the bed right you can just put hinges one one side of the piece you cut out and a tab on the other side to keep it from falling through...I am intrigued by this idea! Sounds way easier to me than either dropping the tank or pulling the bed!

Can you give me the part number of your new pump.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Mine. Its a Mirage River Racer with a 300 drag, 12inch Champ mid, etc. Its on of Mikes special boats.

Very noice. We had a 96 Ski Racer with a 260 on it. 119 is the best we saw. Loved that fuggin boat. You on Scream and fly?

I'm little jon on there. And yeah I knew it was a mirage from the small pics but kk yeah. Miss that boat. We had a XR2002 after wards and then went through the 260 again. Blew up 3 times in three years. Sooo we got out of it. I want a RR with a 280 or hell even a 2.5 200 Carb motor

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Just be careful using an angle grinder to cut the bed open above the tank. You never know what the connections at the pump are like, there could be a tiny gas leak there (I've seen this on my old half ton when it lost fuel pressure, slightly leaking fuel line right at the top of the tank, but it hadn't dripped down to be noticeable from under the truck), nobody wants a chevy barbecue. This might sound obvious but I thought it was worth mentioning.
I did it with an air chisel borrowed from a friend, worked great, takes no time, and I have a bed mat in there so you can't tell anyway. I've done it three ways now, drop tank, remove box and this way, and I highly recommend it over the other options. Bolts don't like to move after 15-20 years of salty winter roads.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yep, safety first. We'll have a fire extinguisher and I'm going to stuff a wet towel over it as mentioned by another poster.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
or you could just slide the bed back about a foot or 2. that was the easiest for me. just lay some rags on the back bumper for the bed to sit on so you dont scratch the paint.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well my buddy who owns the shop I use just gave me the go ahead for me and him to do it tomorrow night...we'll have multiple fire extinguishers, and we'll be super careful. The plus of cutting an access door is it makes it easy to do by yourself in the future. I'll be sure to take a lot of pics. I'll put a big wet towel between the tank and the bed before we start cutting, and we know to be very careful. I can also stick my phone up there and take pics before we start to see how much clearance we have and to identify any problems.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Remember u got about an inch to inch and a half between tank and bed. Go slow and easy. If u got two guys, one cuttin one watchin from below, u should do fine.