Looking for opinions on fog lights under or in bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
OK, I usually make up my own mind and don't solicit opinions very often but here goes.....

I'm having trouble deciding where to mount square lights.

I picked up a set of 3x5 KC LX2 fog lights online a few minutes ago. I considered round lights,m but they just don't seem to go well enough with the GMC front end. Shame really, I already had a set of round 4" fog light sin the garage. Oh well.........it's only money and you can't take it with you......

I took Davids picture of his 88 (uses same lights) and scaled it to the same size as my picture (the size of the actual trucks in the pictures). I then copied over the fog lights so the size is correct for the KC LX2 lights.

Here's the things I have to consider:

It has to look good (duh) and it has to be practical when I remove the air dam for winter snow plowing.

"Quick and dirty" photoshop pics-

Lights in bumper and light in air dam:

You must be registered for see images attach

The cooling hole on the drivers side is really there in metal, the passenger side is photoshoped the proper size for purposes of this comparison. Basically, so it won't throw off the visuals. It's a project in progress.

I like the lights in the dam look good, but I like the protection and no fuss installation in the bumper (well, I like a little bit of customizing also).

Remember: these also are going to serve as my daytime driving lights since my low beams are now Acura TSX HID projectors, so removing the fog/DRL lights is not an option as teh air dam goes on and off.

The bumper is going out for re-chroming once I'm done anyways, so no worries about fabricating/welding the bumper. Cutting and welding in a proper opening is not a problem either.

The lights in the air dam make the front of the truck looks taller and the bumper lights make the truck look wider. At least, that's how is seems to me.

Personal opinion is a weird thing.

I just can't firmly decide either way.

So, that brings me right back to where the thread started; Opinions and points for me to consider either way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I like them in the bumper. Having them under the bumper, as DRL's, might be frowned upon by the local constabulary, as in height issues.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I disabled my DRLs and want to get them working again also. What I had in mind was using part of the parking lamps as the DRLs. The parking lamps have 2 amber bulbs, so I'm thinking of using one half as a DRL. I would have to take apart the housing and put in a divider, so the light is separate between each side(because the inside is open between the bulbs) and converting the inside halves to DRLs using H3 55w bulbs modified onto the back of the housings.

I don't think I've seen it done before.

paint drawing

It will look similar to the NBS trucks:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I disabled my DRLs and want to get them working again also. What I had in mind was using part of the parking lamps as the DRLs. The parking lamps have 2 amber bulbs, so I'm thinking of using one half as a DRL. I would have to take apart the housing and put in a divider, so the light is separate between each side(because the inside is open between the bulbs) and converting the inside halves to DRLs using H3 55w bulbs modified onto the back of the housings.

I don't think I've seen it done before.

paint drawing

It will look similar to the NBS trucks:

Its been done before.

I've considered it, but don't really like it.

Half a light doesn't look good to me.

But if you like it, that's cool too....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Tough choice. I like them both. I think they "fit" better in the valance. What about running some fogs in the valance and driving lights in the bumper??? I have the diesel bumper and I'm going to run these in the valance and the KC 5x7" Driving lights in the bumper. I don't think you can go wrong.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/ff75-series/ff75/

The air dam is a factory location on 2wd trucks.

I can't put anything in the bumper "nostrils".

My diesel bumper isn't on a gasser. It is actually on a diesel truck, it needs the extra air volume through the radiator when towing. In fact, that's why I'm making the openings bigger....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look good both places. Since your cutting the bumper anyway I would put them there so they are not in the way of your plow