Looking for opinions on fog lights under or in bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buy a pre runner hoop/bar and mount to or three round lights on it?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Buy a pre runner hoop/bar and mount to or three round lights on it?

Now I'm just going to sound difficult; but I don't like the look and bars/lights will block some airflow into the grill.

A 6.5 TD pulling heavy on the highway and up mountain passes needs every once of mass air flow through the rad to keep from overheating....

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I'm just going to sound difficult; but I don't like the look and bars/lights will block some airflow into the grill.

A 6.5 TD pulling heavy on the highway and up mountain passes needs every once of mass air flow through the rad to keep from overheating....

You are so picky :lol:

I understand your stipulations though, lights in the lower valence would be good for fog, not really driving or lighting up the road ahead, I think if you are going to open up the intake holes anyway why not make some off to the sides too since you are going to be cutting the bumper up.

Or do a roof rack with lights.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Or do a roof rack with lights.

Won't fit in garage.....yeesh, I am difficult aren't I?

Besides the purpose is for DRL, not driving or fog lights. although they will also be used as fogs.

I'm making a circuit that will run them on 1/2 power until they are manually selected on. Couple modules and relays and assorted whatnots...

Last edited:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well seems cutting some holes in the bumper in the same location as holes in the valance seems like the best idea, or cut holes below the parking lights in the grill and mount them there?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally LOVE them in the air duct holes.

I also like the lower valance, not sure on in the bumper you got. I think you have too much going on with the air ducts, impact strips and bumper gaurds/pushers.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I personally LOVE them in the air duct holes.

I also like the lower valance, not sure on in the bumper you got. I think you have too much going on with the air ducts, impact strips and bumper gaurds/pushers.

OK, for the last time; they're NOT going in the air inlets.

This is not a gasser, it's a Turbo charged IDI diesel.

The holes are there to cool the engine and are required as part of the cooling system.

Sticking lights in them is not an option.

Blocking any air flow into the radiator is also not an option. That would include lights hanging on a bar in front of the grill. It needs a straight shot into the rad, not a turbulent, tumbling mess.

At 55-60 mph, a 9 foot high 8500lb trailer at around 17,000 CGVWR up a mountain pass at 4,000 ft drives it to it's cooling limit and it needs every single oz of air it can suck though to even attempt to keep it within cooling limits.

And that's with the AC already off.....

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, for the last time; they're NOT going in the air inlets.

This is not a gasser, it's a Turbo charged IDI diesel.

The holes are there to cool the engine and are required as part of the cooling system.

Sticking lights in them is not an option.

Blocking any air flow into the radiator is also not an option.

55 mph and a 9 foot high 8500lb trailer at around 17,000 CGVWR up a mountain pass at 4,000 ft drives it to it's cooling limit and it needs every single oz of air it can suck though to even attempt to keep it within cooling limits....

Well EXCUSE THE FREAKIN CRAP OUT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ask for opinions and I gave mine, excuse me for not reading everyone else's posts.

forget I even bothered.

I said I LIKE them not you should put them there. Then you decide you wanna jump all over somebody geez.

As for all the air flow and all that crap yea thanks for the schooling, didn't need it. I was sticking to the topic of opinions.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well EXCUSE THE FREAKIN CRAP OUT OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ask for opinions and I gave mine, excuse me for not reading everyone else's posts.

forget I even bothered.

I said I LIKE them not you should put them there. Then you decide you wanna jump all over somebody geez.

As for all the air flow and all that crap yea thanks for the schooling, didn't need it. I was sticking to the topic of opinions.

Nope, you're reading something int he post that isn't there.

I'm not pissed, miffed, ticked or anything else similar...