Long tubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou32

Reaction score
Hello everyone. 1990 K1500 6 inch lift 5.7 automatic. I’m wanting to install long tube headers and dual shorty exhaust and I’m thinking dual glass packs. Anyone have any good advice or what they might have done?

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. 1990 K1500 6 inch lift 5.7 automatic. I’m wanting to install long tube headers and dual shorty exhaust and I’m thinking dual glass packs. Anyone have any good advice or what they might have done?
I haven’t done it yet but am interested in hearing about what folks have to say about it.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good looking truck by the way!

castine917

Reaction score
What is dual shorty exhaust?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long tubes on an IFS 4x4? No such beast. They interfere with the front diff, front driveshaft, fuel line crossover on the tranny, shifter linkage, crossmember, and fuel tank

Run shorties, and refab the y-pipe into dual passenger side pipes.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Long tube headers are not available for 4x4 GMT 400 trucks, BC the transfer case is in the way of the passengers side header. So your only choices are, make a set of long tube headers, ( or have it done for you) and then I'm not sure there is enough clearance to run that on the passengers side, no mater what you do, or run a set of shorty headers. Shorty's are grate for low end torque. That's where they perform. Once the RPMs build, long tube headers are much better. I never heard of shorty exhaust. Are you talking about turn downs? As for the 9ld school glass packs, I have a set on my 2wd with a set of Summit shorty's, and I love it. I get a lot of compliments on how my truck sounds. My GP mufflers are 24 inch long thrush brand mufflers. I also gutted my cat's, and I have true dual exhaust out the back, with a set of SST tips that I built.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My "88 4x4 had shorty headers, a 3" y-pipe, a turbo muffler, and a turndown. That thing was loud, not because of the muffler, but because of the length of the pipes. It shook and resonated under the cab.

O.P: muffler(s) in the OE location and 90° turndowns just in front of the rear axle is minimum length for sanity sake if you plan on driving that thing on the highway.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Long tubes on an IFS 4x4? No such beast. They interfere with the front diff, front driveshaft, fuel line crossover on the tranny, shifter linkage, crossmember, and fuel tank

Run shorties, and refab the y-pipe into dual passenger side pipes.

Lies, the Hedman Elites fit just fine. I believe we have a member fitting some Hookers as well, but he's not done yet.