Long Term Lower Ball Joint Test: Moog Vs. Mevotech

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
It’s time for some new ball joints, last time around I picked some up at the local parts store... I know, I know, bad idea. They lasted just over 2 year until the oh so familiar “clunk” made itself known. I’m pretty good at keeping up with the grease gun so I attribute failure to the quality of the part. I’ll know more when I pull the old parts off the truck.

Like many of you out there, I have read reviews and comparisons from the depths of the interwebs on who makes the better ball joint. With so many people giving different opinions and experiences I thought it would be a fun experience to do a long term comparison test. I’ve purchased a Moog and a Mevotech Lower Ball Joint from Rock Auto.

Please ask questions, give some feedback and make suggestions.

Part 1: Unboxing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Moog: $29.79
Mevotech: $35.99

Interestingly enough the Moog part is listed as Premium and Mevotech is listed as Heavy Duty. Moog doesn’t have a “Heavy Duty” line listed and Mevotech doesn’t have a “Premium” line listed. I think it safe to say they are the top of the line for each brand.

Unboxing on the front porch (because I can’t wait to get the box to my shop... and my wife LOVES it when I open parts on the front porch).
This is how the package came from RockAuto. I should note that I have a few other parts in there as well. Upper Ball Joints Stabilizer Bar Links and Door Pins.

You can see the Moog Box is open. It maybe a returned part or maybe have jostled open during shipping.

Side by side packaging. I’m a bit of a sucker for packaging, although it doesn’t speak to product quality.

Mevotech - Made in China

Moog - Made in U.S.A

Right out of the manufacturers packaging.

Moog Carter Pins, Retaining com pond included.

Mevotech Carter Pins

At this point there isn’t a valuable comparison to be had. Packaging wise I think Mevotech takes the win. It could be said that Moog doesn’t have the funds

The plan is to perform the installation this Sunday. I’ll take pics and update the threat as I go.

The Ol’ Girl

- Ralph

Last edited:

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I'm interested in the quality of the Mevotech brand hardware; I'd been pricing everything out on Rock Auto to redo my front end and saw that brand listed; but didn't find much researching it.

mistaake

Reaction score
Just read someone's bad experience with a Mevotech sway bar link - don't remember where but their OEM one lasted 20 years and the Mevotech lasted a week. I don't think Moog is all it used to be but still, made in USA is made in USA. If I needed a quality option I'd stick with Moog.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
They forced us to use Mevotech for our fleet for about a year. Now we aren't allowed to buy anything Mevotech. We had failures coming in just days after install. I'm firmly a Delco Professional series guy.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mevotech is GARBAGE. Don’t care how pretty the box is - a polished turd is still a turd. I sell both those products, MOOG by far the winner in the longevity category.