Limited Slip/Posi Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUTony

Reaction score
Hello All I've looked but can't find kits but maybe there is a home remedy without having to buy a entire axle. I want to convert my 92 Sierra rear end into a posi traction to get better grip at the boat ramp. Any ideas?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are several ways to convert you diff to positraction, ( limited slip). True positive traction would be a spool locker. So both wheels will always be turning at the same speed. So when you make a turn, the outer tire, needs to turn faster that the inner tire. True positive traction won't let that happen,so you end up dragging the outer tire around in a turn because the tires are locked together. A limited slip, will let the outer tire turn faster than the inner tire in a turn, but will lock the axles in a low traction situation. So people weld the spider gears in there axel carrier, and this is true positive traction. This will eat up tires. There are many choices of different types of products that you can get to turn you rear end into a limited slip unit. Most lockers use clutches, some use helix gears. And there are also what's called lunch box lockers. I looked hard at all of them before I rebuilt my differential. Only the lunch box lockers are a direct replacement of the spider gears for the open carrier. For me, I chose a helix gear carrier locker. An Eaton truetrac. I need to rebuild my diff anyway. The total cost of everything, including a new set of ring and pinion gears cost me $1100, and I did all of the work my self. I now have a completely rebuilt rear end. New everything including bearings and seals. Only the housing and axel shafts are OE. As for slipping on the boat ramp, I have owner 2 boats. For years before I got my first boat, I used to fish at the boat landings. I watched people launch and retrieve there boats. I would see people spin there tires, and the next guy would pull his boat out with no wheel spin what so ever. Time and time again, I would see this. The guy who pulls his boat out with no wheel spin, eases it out of the water. Giving the truck just enough gas to move the truck, but not enough to spin the tires. Kind of like driving a manual trans vehicle. Ease it out of the water, don't give the truck to much gas. I sole my boats long before I rebuilt my differential. My last boat was rite at 1000 lbs.

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210208_090511.jpg
    20210208_090511.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210211_152007.jpg
    20210211_152007.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210212_095431.jpg
    20210212_095431.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 10

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT AXLE?

I'm well-known on this forum for my distain of the "10-bolt" 8.5" ring gear axle assembly, especially the pickup-truck versions that have the terrible rear brakes. I think they're totaled when they need fresh axle grease.

When it was my '88 K1500, the weak and worn-out 8.5" open differential axle assembly got removed. I found a much-stronger 9.5" six-lug axle with OEM Gov-Lock "Posi", the right gear ratio, and bigger, better brakes. Refreshed the brakes, popped a "conversion" U-joint into the rear of the driveshaft, had everything installed for about $500--$600.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT AXLE?

I'm well-known on this forum for my distain of the "10-bolt" 8.5" ring gear axle assembly, especially the pickup-truck versions that have the terrible rear brakes. I think they're totaled when they need fresh axle grease.

When it was my '88 K1500, the weak and worn-out 8.5" open differential axle assembly got removed. I found a much-stronger 9.5" six-lug axle with OEM Gov-Lock "Posi", the right gear ratio, and bigger, better brakes. Refreshed the brakes, popped a "conversion" U-joint into the rear of the driveshaft, had everything installed for about $500--$600.
What do you think of the gov-lock itself? I had one in my Yukon with correct lube and it only worked when it felt like it, never when I really needed it, and I was always scared it was going to explode. Is that mainly an 8.5" thing?
Are you aware if the 2018 Silverado LT featured the g80 govlock for the limited slip differential? Those seem to work pretty well when they are new.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP it depends on what you want to do with the truck. In my experience clutched limited slip differentials have better on-road behavior especially in high friction sitations.
However mechanically locking differentials, such as the automatic G80 locker are better off-road in slippery terrain IMO.
I reckon a swap to a G80 axle would satisfy in this situation.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you think of the gov-lock itself? I had one in my Yukon with correct lube and it only worked when it felt like it, never when I really needed it, and I was always scared it was going to explode. Is that mainly an 8.5" thing?
Are you aware if the 2018 Silverado LT featured the g80 govlock for the limited slip differential? Those seem to work pretty well when they are new.
I've had the G80 on my 99 1500 2wd NBS and it's always worked fine...again, always used it on pavement, and not gunning it if I ever went off-road. But they do have a bad reputation for blowing up.

The variations of the G80 have been the 10 bolt (8.5), 14 bolt (9.5) and 14 bolt (10.5.) The later 2 are supposed to be more robust. I've got 3 other trucks with each of those axles (2 of the 9.5" and 1 of the 10.5",) all with the G80, besides the 10 bolt G80...and they all work just fine.

Between the 4 trucks, they have a combined mileage of almost 900k. AFAIK, the G80s are all stock.

The 2014+ 1500 Silverados have an axle that's a hybrid (9.5" ring gear with 10 bolt axles/bearings with 6 lugs). The differential cover has 12 bolts, so that's what guys are calling it: "12 bolt." But I think it's a 14 bolt 9.5" internals, except for the axles/bearings. They also have the same axle but with a 9.76" ring gear (I think that one came with the 6.2 and Max towing packages.) The ring gear is stamped on the pumpkin, either 9.5 or 9.76

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The G80 "grenade lock" takes some getting used to to activate. Needs very little wheel spin, then it "should" lock up. I had 2 that worked great, just takes some finesse to lock it. Another option is a true posi from mid 90s B-bodies Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, Caddy Seville. Certain models have the same rear as these trucks, and so the posi would fit. I think they are Auburn, not rebuildable, but would work fine in lite duty conditions.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The G80 is pleasant off-road as it locks up easy with little wheel spin allowing you to reliably creep along.
Works good on dry pavement too but sometimes feels unrefined.
Doesn't work worth a Damn once it gets worn out however...

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've posted this video several times now, but still enjoy watching it, LOL. Note how small those tires are on those trucks compared to today's trucks!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media