led tail light havoc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Glad you were able to figure it out! I see you've got the same LED tails and LED 3rd brake light as I do lol.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which brand of 3rd break light do you have. I cant remember where i bought mine LMC or somewhere else, but it is supposed to be plug and play lol. I plugged it in and the led would stay on with the truck off. I am not sure if it was supposed to have cargo lights like yours but i had to take it to an electrical shop where they had to figure that issue out. Plus the seal didnt fit well enough that water would leak into the cab from there. Fixed that problem with some clear rtv around the break light trim.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Update: it was coincidental timing. My multifunction switch had bad wires.
You must be registered for see images attach
Good catch. I'm gonna have to keep in mind that 95-up are bad about the wires in that area crapping out. I've seen headlight issues and hi/lo beam selector issues with the wiring in that same spot. Seems to me it goes bad from the tilt being used a lot.

Richard

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Which brand of 3rd break light do you have. I cant remember where i bought mine LMC or somewhere else, but it is supposed to be plug and play lol. I plugged it in and the led would stay on with the truck off. I am not sure if it was supposed to have cargo lights like yours but i had to take it to an electrical shop where they had to figure that issue out. Plus the seal didnt fit well enough that water would leak into the cab from there. Fixed that problem with some clear rtv around the break light trim.
A lot of the cheaper single row LED 3rd brake lights will do that. You just have to cut the yellow wire for them work properly, sadly the cargo lights will not come on with courtesy lights when the switch is turned on to the "ON" position, they will become fully manual.

Here's the one I got in the thread I made about the new double row LED ones, that I think look way better than the single rows: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/new-led-third-brake-lights-close-to-stock.48789/

One thing I recommend with that LED 3rd brake light that I linked in my thread, is siliconing the screw holes (once you've tighten them down) and silicone the edge where the rubber and the lens meet. After that it will be waterproof.

Childs

Reaction score

Childs

Reaction score
I think it is this one. Works but seems to be fading in sunlight fast. I can see it becoming light pink soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you much for the info. Yes, the shop probably cut the same yellow wire you are talking about. Still have to work on getting good led headlights and oem foglights I have. C6 light a cra ppy. one is blinking the other was blinking and now is dim. The oem fog lights is that I cant find a bulb bright enough that fits inside the housing. Sure there are brighter ones but they are too long and wont fit. The ones I have are less than 800 lumens each need more like 3k apiece.