New LED third brake lights - close to stock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Been seeing these type of new LED third brake lights for a couple months that look very similar to the factory, and to me, much better than the one row LED third brake lights. Thinking about getting a couple for my trucks sometime once I get more money.

https://www.amazon.com/1988-1998-Si...-----------1&vehicleName=1998+Chevrolet+K1500

There are reports of the rubber seal not being good at all, but the light seems to be ok.

If you wanted it to look as stock as possible, you could mask off the front part of the light, and then plastidip the top, bottom, and sides - which I actually might try when I get them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Huh... Well that is interesting. Never seen that style before. They look nice though.

I'm betting that the reason some people are complaining about the seal is that they probably did the same thing Anzo did, which was make one LED 3rd brake light mold that works for both cab styles (extended and standard/crew). Happy medium dimensions that aren't perfect for either but work for both.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well. My Spec-D Tuning LED third brake light seal wasn't that great, but did ok, most are going to have that issue. I'll have to see what they look like when I order them in a few weeks.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time looking to replace my 3rd brake light for the LED ones, and I can tell you I have yet to find one that actually fits the extended cab trucks. They work fine on the regular and crew cabs, but they refuse to make one that is an EXACT to fit replacement for the extended cab trucks. I don't have the production numbers, but aren't most of the GMT 400s out there extended cab?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time looking to replace my 3rd brake light for the LED ones, and I can tell you I have yet to find one that actually fits the extended cab trucks. They work fine on the regular and crew cabs, but they refuse to make one that is an EXACT to fit replacement for the extended cab trucks. I don't have the production numbers, but aren't most of the GMT 400s out there extended cab?
Can't answer your question but there are enough of us out there someone should make one that fits.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Side note to anyone having difficulty with sealing an aftermarket unit... Have you all tried running a small bead of silicone around the perimeter before tightening it down? I had to do that on my red truck due to the XM antenna wire running through that opening. It's worked like a charm for the past five years or more.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Pretty cool, this might be easier than retrofitting my stock one. My factory 3rd brake light works fine, but I was never really satisfied with performance of the cargo lights.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of these. Won't mount it permanently when I get it, but will hook it up and let y'all know how it fits.

Planning to replace all my lights, and will wait to install all at once, when I have them. Still trying to find a good paintable oem Silverado grille, that doesn't cost a small fortune.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Those LED ones looks pretty good.

In 2016 I looked and looked for one like stock. I ended up buying the one in the photo because it had regular bulbs for the cargo light. It fits pretty good to my regular cab. I just looked on ebay again and I do not see this type at all anymore.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did replace my 3rd brake light about 3 years ago and really forgot what brand it was atm. Might be AZO but i ran into a problem. It was supposed to be plug and play and it did look great but the led would stay one even when the truck was off. i took it to an electrical shop and they fixed that but i lost my cargo light though.

Did anyone else run into this problem and how did they fix it?